How do I train for this?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accordinly Done, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accordinly Done

Accordinly Done OT Supporter

Stair Climb: The candidate uses a StepMill stair-climbing machine while wearing weights comparable to the equipment a Firefighter carries. The candidate walks up the stairs at a specified rate and for a specified time without loosing his/her balance.

The weight is a 80lb weight vest on a revolving stairmill at a rate of one step every second for three minutes. I thought about wearing a backback with weights on it at the gym but I'm afraid the weight will rip the bag. Any suggestions? O and were not allowed to touch the rails.

2. Accordinly Done

Stair Climb: The candidate uses a StepMill stair-climbing machine while wearing weights comparable to the equipment a Firefighter carries. The candidate walks up the stairs at a specified rate and for a specified time without loosing his/her balance.
    Hose Drag: The candidate must drag an uncharged hose line around an obstacle for a specified distance to simulate advancing a hose from a fire truck into a building.
    Equipment Carry: The candidate removes two power tools from a cabinet and carries them a specified distance to simulate carrying them from a fire truck to a fire scene and back again.
    Ladder Raise and Extension: This event uses a 24-foot extension ladder to test the candidate's ability to raise the ladder into position, and then extend and retract it.
    Forcible Entry: The candidate uses a 10-pound sledgehammer to strike a mechanized device stimulating the task of forcing open a door, or breaking a wall.
    Search: The candidate crawls through an enclosed maze that is 64 feet long and contains several turns and obstacles. The event simulates the task of searching for a fire victim with limited visibility and an unpredictable area.
    Rescue: The candidate drags a 165-pound mannequin 70-feet to simulate the task of removing a victim or injured partner from a fire.
    Ceiling Breach and Pull: This event uses a commonly used piece of firefighting equipment called a pike pole, along with a mechanized device, to simulate the overhead push and pull forces associated with the task of breaching a ceiling to check for fire extension.
    That is the whole test but teh only thing I am worried about is the weight vest.

3. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

you can purchase weighted vests, but that just depends how much money you want to invest in this training

the ladder raise shouldn't be a problem, i had to use 24 foot ladders for phone repair and it's really easy, there were really small guys doing it

4. Accordinly Done

Those vest are fucking expensive. Theres gotta be a way to rig something up.

5. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

build a sled, and drag it around, GPP, read up on it at EFTS, io think that is what u r looking for.
    tire flipping too

6. SteveO

SteveO Guest

you going to ocala?

7. Perkwunos

i dunno to be honest, i statred with two plates, and needed three withing a week or two, on grass, wich i think is harder than asphault. i dunno about the squat thing, if anything it helped me on DE days more than ME

8. Perkwunos

hey, that will work, the only problem will be finding a way to ad weight, ui stoped sled dragging due to work, i do enough GPP there.

9. milani

milani "The best activities for your health are pumping a

Slightly off-topic alert, but.....

It will not help you with your squat/dead directly. It will help you get in shape in order to train to your potential in order to improve your squat/dead...

Link:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/gpp.htm

10. Accordinly Done

naples

11. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

*shrug* go to the firestation and go borrow a uniform? that'd be the same 80lbs. go sweat ur ass off in it for 3 minutes =)

12. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

I put 70 pounds in a backpack and walked around 3km's. It was fun. Backpack won't rip.

13. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

It'd probably help to lose some weight also

but yer a decent backpack should hold 80lb, or you could even hold it in your hands with a pair of dumbells.

14. Accordinly Done

I would get some :ugh: looks if I wore my bunker gear to my gym. I think I am going to start with holding the weights in my hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.