MMA how do i take the back from mount?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Buck something?, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Buck something?

Buck something? New Member

Searched youtube couldn't come up with an instructional. Anyone have one? :x:

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

punch them in the face until they roll over

3. Buck something?

Buck something? New Member

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Punch them in the face subtly until they roll over.

Either that, or dig your heels under their back and wait for them to get uncomfortable and roll.

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

if they start turning to a side you can sometimes take the back. if theyre flat on their back then just attack from there :dunno:

6. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I like to take the back from mount a lot. So here is (in my opinion) the most effective way to get the back.

firstly you need to execute this

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=cMvfT-s1nPQ&feature=related (part 2 of this video is meh, some pretty dumb stuff, ill just tell ya the way i know how to do it, which i get a lot of the time)

This is called the 'gift wrap' (blame stupid eddie bravo for inventing that term) personally i dont think it needs a name, its just a really nice way to hold your opponent that i use. You can use this from the guard as well, which i use a lot to get the back from the guard, controlling them like this, it also sets up a nice head arm choke if thats your thing as well, but i prefer the back for comps cause you get the points.

Once you get into the position in that video (where your arm is controling there first on the opposite side of there head) simply use your free hand to push and pull that arm all the way through to the other side of the head. Essentially the arm you have trapped you are trying to wrap that 360 degrees around his head.

HERE IS WHERE PEOPLE MAKE THE MISTAKE! You MUST life your hips OFF them to ALLOW them to ROLL. A big mistake that i see people doing, is that they are so scared of losing control of them by lifting their hips off them to allow them to roll, that they dont complete the move. It feels counter intuitive, however once you get used to it its a high percentage move. Remember that you don't have to lift your hips of them a great deal, just enough to let them roll

once they are face down, if you were able to get your hooks in, thats great, flatten them out. If you do this technique a lot, you will be able to 'feel' when you should be planting your hooks in and you will get them in (or at least 1 in) most of the time.

This is one of my favorite moves, and have executed it in comps so i highly suggest it. Great question

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

yes ^^^ thats all true

i dont necessarily think you need them to roll though. you can also pull the guy over you (make sure he doesnt turn back into the guard when you do this)

or sometimes you can lift the guys body up a bit and slide your bottom hook in.

8. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I agree chechen, but i was just saying the move that i use. I don't want to explain a move that i am not confident with, but i totally agree with your move and i have seen people work it, infact it might be better than the way i do it, but i just havn't learnt it properly yet :p

9. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

:rofl: