How do I shop for a audio receiver?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by airbrat, Jun 3, 2003.

1. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

I'm looking for a home surround sound receiver for my new big screen. What features are MUST HAVES? I know sound quality is not rated by wattage so what's a good amount of wattage when it comes to watching movies? 400? 500? More? Less?

Is discreet circuitry really that noticeable? How big a difference is 5.1 vs. 6.1 surround?

thanks for the space :)

2. xivera

xivera Active Member

How big is the room!? Briefly describe the acoustics of the room...

3. Udontknowme

Udontknowme New Member

If you want some real answers to your technical questions, you should go to either hometheaterforums.com or avscience.com. If you want reviews of products, go to either audioreview.com or epinions.com.

4. 04

04 Guest

Must haves, hmm there really arent any. Try steering away of really cheap brands. I don't know what your price is, but if you are spending less than 1000 dollars, dont expect more than 100 watts per channel. Discreet circuitry wont affect the sound, and their really arent any specifications that differenciate the sound of one reciever to another.

The only difference between 5.1 and 6.1 sound is that the 6.1 has an extra rear speaker. IMO, its really unnecessary since very few dvds out their even come with 6.1 channel sound tracks.

You should try posting this in Home and Car audio, you would get a lot more responsnes there...