How do I set up remote access to my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jinushaun, Mar 22, 2004.

1. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Like if I wanted access files on my computer from school or work. This is a family computer, so there are XP login accounts on it.

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

there are a myriad of ways to do this. the most important factor is what your connection to the internet is like. for example, if your computer is behind a NAT in the student dorms, you're pretty much SOL for easy solutions. you need to explain your setup a little more thoroughly.

3. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

My computer is connected to Comcast cable running WinXP. It's a home connection.

4. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

5. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:ugh: Just use Remote Desktop. Assuming you aren't behind a router (if you are - forward port 3389 to your computer's IP address which you can figure out by typing ipconfig from a command prompt) right click on My Computer, go to the Remote tab, check "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer." Then you can click the Select Remote Users button to choose which users have the ability to log in remotely.

Then, using any other computer running XP Pro (or you can download the Terminal Services client from MS' website) type in the IP address of your home machine. You can figure this out by going to www.whatismyip.com from that machine.