How do i set up my secondary hard drive???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Aliane, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Aliane

Aliane Guest

I need help, i have lots of files on my secondary hard drive, and i need to get the computer to recognize it, so i can access my files. I have it plugged in correctly, i assume, just like it was on my other computer, which ran the same OS and such.

I run Windows 98 first edition; yes i know its a piece of crap. I really really need to get this set up....these files are important.

IM Me on AIM at AlianeOnakami, that's the best way to keep in touch with me about this. I'd prefer it because i'd like someone to walk me through the steps.

Thanks
    Aliane

2. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

on the back, theres a jumper you can change to either slave or CS (cable select). Then on your ribbon cable, use the cable in the middle, and hook a power cable into it, and make sure the bios finds it, otherwise windows wont. All there is to it.

3. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

You only need to do this part. Setting it to a slave doesn't matter. As long as its on the secondary channel it will find the drive.

4. Aliane

Aliane Guest

what i'm saying is i DID hook it up this way, and BIOs or windows hasnt recognized it automatically......how can i manually set it up.....other than what i already did

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Well, check it again because if BIOS doesn't find it then either a) the hard drive is blown or b) you hooked it up wrong :)

Make sure the hard drive has power - can you hear it start up? If not try a different connector off the power supply. Double check your connections..make sure they are tight and not upside down - the ribbons are keyed but some people force them in anyways.

Make sure you have the ribbon cable plugged into the motherboard at the correct end. With an IDE cable with 3 connectors the motherboard end is the one with the longest gap between connectors.

The drive in the middle of the cable MUST BE set to Slave (SL) or Cable Select (CS) if it is Master (MA) it will not work. The drive on the end of the cable MUST BE set to Master or Cable Select. You cannot have two Masters or two Slaves or a Slave at the end and a Master in the middle - you CAN have two Cable Selects.

If you pull everything apart and set it up like that it should work. If it doesn't then remove the primary drive from the cable and try booting with just that one drive (as Cable Select or Master - it must be on the END of the ribbon cable).