How do I save streaming Quicktime videos to my hard drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StevesVR4, Apr 28, 2005.

1. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

There are a few videos in Quicktime format that I am trying to save to my hard drive so I can burn them on a DVD. Unfortunately they are streaming files so if I try to save the .mov file, all I get is a container file that is 1KB in size and useless to me. I would like to burn them to DVD so I can play them on my TV for friends when they come over next week to watch some movies. Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Or, if you know where I can download the videos (in non-streaming format), that will work too (large format only please).
    The videos I am interested in:
    Batman Begins Teaser
    Batman Begins Trailer
    Batman Begins Trailer 4
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Teaser
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trailer 2
    Kingdom of Heaven Trailer
    Star Wars Episode III Teaser
    Star Wars Episode III Trailer

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

http://www.comingsoon.net/trailers/

pulling movies from quicktime limits you by an option (right clicking and selecting properties or save as will sometimes give you information or allow you to save using windows media player)....however depending on the site you can do one of the following:

1. remove the file association for quicktime movies, then when your browser hits the file it wont know what to do with and will ask to save or open, you can then save

2. you can check the source code for the page to find the path to the file, then do the above and point your browser to the path of the file

3. if the above dont work and you are always getting the streamer then you will need to capture the video with a third party app

fyi, going thru comingsoon.net (above) i have found almost NO streams, nearly everything i have been able to d/l to my HDD and they have a HUGE library of trailers, teasers, etc.

as for converting....i dont know much about converting from quicktime, but know windows media files are fairly easy to convert to MPEG2 or even VOB for DVD encoding (tho can be very time consuming)

3. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

:eek3: Thanks! I will have to check this out when I get home.

4. Seeker

Seeker Guest

I've just taken the .mov file from the temporary internet files folder before. It may not have the same file name but it should be in there after the browser has downloaded the whole thing to view it.

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

EDIT: I just checked it with Batman Begins and it was there with the actual file name after it had finished downloading. By the way, this is assuming you're using IE.

5. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Like I mentioned, I just end up with a 1KB .mov file that doesn't contain the actual file.

6. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

Find the source url by right clicking and viewing source.

7. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

I did.

8. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

this works for firefox too. i find them by sorting by size and just looking for the biggest files because most web content other than the videos is small

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If it's actually a streaming file and not something that IE downloads then opens in quicktime, you'll need a stream ripper to get it. MPlayer can rip streams.