How do i run my DMG Torrent file?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Smelly-Kitten, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

I downloaded a torrent program (game) via Azureus, but after it finished DL'n and i open it, it's DMG file and i dont know what to fun it with, when i try to open it w/ Azereus it says can not read file, bad header
    Help?:wiggle:

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

DMG is an OS X package. (well, I don't know the details, it's some sort of image which you surely can _open_ on another OS but that shouldn't be any good to ya on anything other than OS X)

Pay closer attention to the types of the file/s you're downloading in future. It's not difficult to end up with something you can't use.

3. matttx

matttx New Member

yea .dmg is basically .exe on windows.

your not going to be able to run the .dmg file on your windows machine.

4. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

yeah, i feared that. Thanks guys

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:ugh: Not even close.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I've been putting some brainpower into a BitTorrent index/tracker/browser today, I might make it one day too. One thing I wanna do is bring BT to the masses, make sure anybody who wants to can use it. Like I said earlier "It's not difficult to end up with something you can't use", which sucks no-end for the user and the community.

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_tracker#Trackers_and_indexers btw to understand the difference between a BT index and tracker)

So, when my indexer indexes a torrent, it will sniff it's contents and provide information about filetypes, necessary codecs, etc, that the frontend can explain for the users. It'll likely go on then to download more of the torrent as demanded by a virus scanner, and maybe then download the rest to be ready for seeding (which should probably happen dynamically according to demand (i.e. the hardest to get/complete torrents will be seeded faster than torrents with 100s of seeders)).