How do i reformat??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by V, Sep 20, 2003.

1. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

so i just bought and installed a new hard drive. i wanted to switch this drive to my master boot drive, cause my old drive was seriously fucked up. so i installed windows xp on it, switched it to my master boot drive, and now everything is working fine, BUT i want to reformat my old drive and clean it completely. but when i right click -> format drive... it says its unable to complete the format. it wont give me a reason. im not runnin my os from that drive. its completely empty now. any ideas whats going on or how i can format it? thanks.

2. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

start > run > "cmd" > format <drivelabel>

3. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

"enter current volume label for this drive"?

4. Divine Vengeance

yea, should be like d: or whatever, check in My Computer

5. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

yeah got it. volume label = name of drive ("local disk" or whatever)...they could have just asked me that in the first place :rolleyes: its working though. thanks for your help. :bigthumb:

6. Divine Vengeance

7. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

goddamnit. it didnt work. it says "system partition is not allowed to be formatted". how do i make it so that it doesnt recognize my C drive as a system partition? it has no data on it. my os is running on my new drive. ideas?

8. Divine Vengeance

you shouldn't be formatting your C drive, that should be your new OS install. Format the drive letter of the old drive.

9. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

i installed my new hard drive, from my old one. that is to say, i put in my hard drive, booted up my os on my C drive, and loaded winxp onto my new drive (H). then, i went in and switched the jumpers and cables to make my new drive the boot up drive and the master drive. its still labeled as H:. is there a way to change this? did i do something wrong?

10. Divine Vengeance

:sad2: Try using Admin Tools > Computer Management to change the drive label from c: to something else. The only reason I could think that it would keep the drive letters is if you're booting to your old drive and not the new one.

11. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

damn. heres the deal. my new drive is the boot drive. but it says that the old drive is still the system drive. this of course is rediculous since i deleted every goddamn thing on the drive and the os is on the boot drive. and of course, i cant change the letter or path of the system drive :rolleyes:...this is annoying.

12. Divine Vengeance

what happens when you put the new drive in by itself?

13. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

well, i havent tried that. i dont really feel like taking my case apart again right now cause im tired and am going to bed soon. you think this might fix the problem though? i guess it makes sense doesnt it. ill try that tomorrow when i wake up. thanks.

14. Divine Vengeance

yeah, no problem.

15. NaftaWRX

NaftaWRX Guest

you said your old HD is fucked up.. so what's the point of reformatting it..?

or else, can't you just use your old HD as master boot and new as slave, then install winxp on new HD, unplug new HD and format the main boot HD (old one), then switch jumpers/cables as needed and plug back in?

16. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

thats what i did, but i couldnt format the old one cause its still recognized as the system drive. and when i said it was fucked up, i just meant software wise. i had installed winxp a couple times on it and the installs just ran over each other and nothing was working. its in good shape, it just needs a new start.

17. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

so i just unplugged the old drive. and my computer wont start without it. says "error loading os". i dont understand. why would it need the old one to load the OS? how can i make this new drive completely independent?

18. Divine Vengeance

I guess the install you did on the second drive got fucked up. Your best choice now is just to boot from CD, format the new drive and reinstall, so it becomes an independent drive.

Afterwards stick the old drive in and try again.

19. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

whew, that was more work than i hoped for. but i did just that. the problem was that when i installed the OS on the new drive, i did it from the old drive, rather than booting up and doing it from cd. but i reformated the drive, and installed from the boot disk, and then plugged my old drive back in. everything's running smoothly. thanks again for all the help :bigthumb:

20. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

just a FYI and for people who have a simular problem, there's a great DOS based software called PART.EXE, available at
    http://www.ranish.com/

the only thing is that it does not do NTFS (the version I have anyways), but it's good otherwise, small and fits on a floppy