SRS How do I politely tell some one I dont know wtf they are saying

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Ripper, Apr 8, 2009.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

There's this new guy at work and hes from England but he has this THICK English accent. Not like Daniel Craig or Peirce Brosnan's look at me Im British accent. He has the thick accent they dont put on tv. Its funny because we are speaking the same language and some times I dont know what the hell he is saying.

Its ok if we are casually talking to each other. I can understand him perfectly but when he gets excited he starts talking really fast and when he goes at a fast pace I dont know WTF he is saying. So I just usually nod. How can I tell him look you need to slow down with out being offensive.

2. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

lol. yeah of course. otherwise you will be listeing to him forever just nodding your head, and then he will ask you shit and say remember that time.. and you will have nfi

3. ItsStockOfficer

ItsStockOfficer Active Member

Just tell him you can't tell wtf he is saying. It will be more amusing than insulting, don't stress.

4. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

"sorry guv, not trying to take the piss but I haven't the foggiest what you're on about"

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite get all that. Could you please repeat it a little more slowly? Thanks."

6. Primrose

Primrose New Member

At least your colleague speaks English. Just wait till you work with a Chinese speaking Chinglish. You can not understand what he says or what he means! Recent example that comes to mind, "Oh Chicago, the home of the red cows." I think he was talking about the NBA team Chicago Bulls.

It depends on the importance of the conversation. If it's a casual talk I nod my head and laugh lots. If details are important I'll say pardon could you repeat that or something to that effect. You might jokingly call him the King of England and ask him to slow down when he talks.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

I was on a conference call with india and the guy kept saying something I couldn't understand. After the 3rd time saying "I'm very sorry, but can you repeat that?" I finally said "I really have no idea what you're saying." He IMed it to me so I could read it. We all got a big laugh out of it.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Agreed. I used to do conference calls with India and half the time i was like "wat"

9. Mr J

Mr J New Member

mod edit: had a bad day? :hsnono:,try to channel your negative energy into doing something positive Americans butchered our language. He's probably speaking in proper english hence you don't understand him

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  10. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

:rofl: He's obviously not using RP which is the ONLY proper British English so shut the fuck up.

11. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

Just say, your accent makes it hard for me to understand, can you talk a little slower so I can take it all in. Then it is not his problem, it's your problem for not being able to understand it.

12. ahah! best second post ever!

yea just be cool about it to him. he will understand, besides he is the new guy isnt he?

13. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

just be honest man. tell him you dont know what he said.

14. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Ask him if he's talking Welsh or English? Or if he grew up in Glasgow.

P.S. Very few Brits talk like 'on TV', lol.

15. zebby

zebby ??:P

I'm interested in what region he's from now, I would probably put money on it being scouse, geordie or broad yorkshire if you can't understand what he's saying haha... makes me chuckle.

16. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Yeah, The Ripper may remember how Micheal Bisping had his voice subtitled on TUF, he's from Liverpool (a scouse).

17. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Give him a greeting card with a big question mark on the front. Explain the facts on the inside.

18. Julius

Julius Guest

Tell him to clarify his speech. Many brits like to use terms that are completely alien to us. This becomes very confusing when it's topped with their accent.

You don't want him to ask something along the lines of "Are you gay?" while you're blankly nodding your head.

19. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

ask him to slow down or tell him you've never had to deal with a british accent before and need to adjust slowly to his manner of speech

20. 7960

7960 New Member

:rofl:

If he asks "Fag?" you really need to know what he's asking.

21. northw3st

northw3st New Member

"listen man. i am doing my best to understand what you're saying, and it's kind of embarassing that I can't do it. could you try to make it easier for me?"

22. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Tell him: I'm really interested in what you're saying but you have such a strong accent, could you please slow down a little, I'd like to make sure I understand everything? Sometimes I may need to ask you to repeat things and I hope you won't take offense.

23. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

and say it with a Cockney accent :bowdown: