how do i move page/swap file?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deadW8, Nov 9, 2004.

1. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

After thinking it over, I've decided to reformat and partition my drives this way: (if you have a better suggestion as to how the hard drives should be partitioned please let me know)

But I need help as I don't know how to move the page/swap file (also do I need to move the 'temp' files and how do I do this as well) but I'm not sure how?

(I have two (2) separate physical hdd's; both of them are 120gb.)

c: 20gb - OS & Programs (disk1_vol1)
    e: 50gb - dunno yet; data (disk1_vol2)
    f: 50gb - dunno yet; data (disk1_vol3)

d: 118gb - data file (my documents, my videos, my music, my pictures & shared documents folders) (disk2_vol1)
    g: 2 gb - swap/page file (disk2_vol2) <-- Should this be larger than 2gb? (5gb maybe or would this be overkill?)

I was told that having the swap/page file and temp files on a separate hdd is better performance wise? And for the temp files, which temp files are we talking about? I don't understand how and which temp files need to be moved and why that would help peformance...

Man, I have no idea how I want to set this system up. :o :hs: :wtc:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  2. __23skidoo

__23skidoo ...has the nuts

I'm assuming Win2K=>

Right Click My computer > Properties > Advanced Tab > Performance Options > Change.

3. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Oops, sorry, forgot to put the OS info on there.

Windows XP Pro, SP2
    Pentium 2.8c
    512mb RAM
    120gb Maxtor
    120gb WD

Should I move the temp files? (<--is this the temp folder?) Sorry, if this is a stoopid question.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Same procedure for XP

5. __23skidoo

Temp files should be deleted regularyl...hence the name.

Possibly you mean temporary internet files, you can change where those are stored in IE> Tools > whatever (don't remember since I've been using firefox :mamoru: )

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

No, we're talking about the swap file, not temp dir or internet cache.

7. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

I'm not sure... :hs: I've been 'Google-ing' a lot o this stuff and getting some good info but at the same time some contradictary info as well.

Most everyone agrees, that it's better to move the page/swap file onto a separate physical hard drive (assuming that you have one present). These same people seem to also suggest moving/creating a dedicated temp files partition? <--I'm not sure if this is all the temp files, temp files under the documents and settings folder, or the temporary internet files.

:sigh:

8. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I've tried moving the swap file to another drive and I never could tell any performance difference. It probably helps under disk intensive applications, but for general use I found it to not be worth the extra effort.

9. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

XR250dr: Yeah, I've been reading a lot of people's posts about not being able to tell a difference...I just thought I'd try it and see...The most intensive application I'll be doing currently is photoshop & illustrator although I plan on learning video editing down the road.

I'm still searching for the temp files, and it does look like people are saying to move Temp IE/swap/page into another drive for optimized performance.

I can understand the theory behind moving the swap/page file but I didn't know that the temp ie file would/could take up so much space. If I'm creating a 2gb partition for the swap/page file, how much do I need for the temp ie file partition?

10. __23skidoo

Guidelines for the pagefile is 2x RAM btw, so 2G is overkill if your not running a database or doing heavy video editing. The page file is also sometimes called a swap file...it allieviates bottlenecks fo rthe RAM. (at least afaik)
    I've only felt the need to move/increase pagefiles on Oracle/SQL boxes and Citrix servers.

I hope that helps.

11. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

_23skidoo: Thanks :bigthumb: ...I thought the guideline for the swap/page file was 1.5 X RAM? I know 2G is overkill, but it seems to be what most people recommend. Although I won't end up using it immediately, I'm sure I'll be doing some video editing with 6mos. time and I don't want to bother doing this all over again if I can get it doen now. :)

12. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

I don't agree with all of the info on here, but I'm thinking of moving my temp folder and such as suggested from this site:

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/wxptwks.htm

What do you guys think of the suggestions listed here?

NO, it's not my site and I have no affiliations with the owner of the site listed above...just a link I found while googling for info on how to optimize and partition my hdd's.

13. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

I had planned on 20gigs for my OS (windows xp) and programs, but is it "better" to place the programs on a separate partition? (i.e.: 5gigs - OS; 15gigs - programs?)

14. __23skidoo

In server set ups, yes.....i usually will do 2 mirrored drives for OS/Programs. I would only seperate programs from the OS if it was memory or disk intensive.
    then the rest is doled out as needed. I really don't think there is a particular advantage to seperating OS from programs.

You might want to consider getting a small disk for the OS/Programs and set the 2 physical drives as needed. For a typical home/buisness system it isnt necessary IMO

15. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

OK, that's what I thought just seemed like a lot of people were saying to separate the OS partition from the Programs partition as it helped reduce disk fragmentation while augmenting scan disk speed, etc.

16. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

One more question this time about which partition should be what...I'll be turning the d: (disk2_vol2) into the swap/page file as I've learned that it should be on the outermost platter of the separate disk from the OS.

Where should I place the My Documents data, should I leave the two (2) 50gb partitions as a whole 100gb for My Documents or should I use the bigger 118gb on disk2_vol2?

17. __23skidoo

I really don't see a pupose for the 2 50G patritions on the first drive...

If youre going to be saving a bulk of your information in D+C then give it the space, Personally, I dont use MyDocuments/MyPictures, ETC...I create my own file structure....usually.

18. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Yeah, you're right. I really don't need to partition the drives, but thought I'd learn how to do this stuff for the "fun" of it since I'm reformatting and installing everything new anyway. Plus this is the first time I've had 2 separate hdd's on one system so I wanted to see some of the functionality, performance, optimization benefits/features that I could get from teh two hard drives.

I think I may use one of the 50gb's for games, and use the other 50gb's for project storage (video & graphics projects) and use the 118gb or so on drive 'h:' for 'my documents' (<-- I guess I'm kinda lazy, but I like using the prestructured 'My Documents' system).

Thanks to everybody for their help! :bowdown:

I learned quite a bit yesterday. :)