How do I MANUALLY un-install Internet Explorer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accord, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I need to know how to manually delete Internet Explorer from my computer. I cannot delete it through the add/remove programs because of some unrelated problems i'm having with that, but i'm not going to get into that, it's a whole other story.

My internet explorer is just completely screwed up, for some reason I cannot view anything in it and it just tells me the page can't be displayed. I have tried to do every single fix they have on the microsoft.com support database and none of them worked. The kicker to this is that websites and everything load perfectly fine if I go into MyDocuments and then just type a URL in the address bar there, but not in IE. Also, Netscape and Mozilla work fine as well.

I just need to manually uninstall IE manually and then reinstall it. Also, i'm running Windows 2000 if that helps.

Thanks
    [/font]

2. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I dont think it is possible to remove it. M$ integrates it waaay too much into windows. You could try this at your own risk, but if you ahve any IE service packs, you could try to remove and reinstall those, but I dont know if that would help.

You can also try some adware removal tools like ad aware or spybot.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

you can't just remove it. you can run the setup wizard and revert to a prior installation and then reinstall. you can download the whole ie so if you have to try this a few times you only have to download once. if you click start, run, and type:

"c:\program files\internet explorer\ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"

exactly like that, including quotes (adjust the path for the location of ie6setup.exe).

good luck - this has been a problem for me on a machine at work for a week and i finally just gave up and switched to mozilla until i get my new machine next week.

4. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Might also try Start > Run

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\ie.inf

Fixed my XP box but I believe it will work for any OS as long as the IE Ver is 6.0... Worth a shot.

Disclaimer: Never tried it on Win2k but it is only related to IE so it should work.