How do I make my laptop run cooler/ make my fan turn off?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bish, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Bish

Bish New Member

My laptop: (HP Pavilion touchsmart tx2-1020us tablet pc)

So far I've tried every program I could find to underclock/volt/turn off fans (RM Clock, Crystal CPUID, Power Now!, Cool'n'quiet, speedfan, AMD power control, and many others...) and none of these work because I have vista 64 or because they don't recognize my processor (AMD Turion x2 dual-core mobile zm-82). It made no difference when I turned testsigning mode off either.
    My bios has no options except to make the fan not on 100% of the time so now it's on 95% of the time and it's annoying as fuck. Thermal paste isn't something I'm considering because I heard it's not that great and I don't want to spend the money to get it done and I couldn't figure out how to access the CPU myself. I'm waiting on the Zalman cooling pad but it won't be here for a while. Basically I need my computer to shut the fuck up when I'm in class.
    Are there any other programs I haven't tried that will work for my processor and vista?
    Also, I was wondering if I did a dual boot with xp if I could use one of the programs compatible with xp to change some CPU settings and then have these changes still active in vista. I can't just use XP because my tablet appications will not work the same if at all.
    Please someone help me out!
    And by the way, speedfan tells me only the temperature of my computer (won't let me change anything) and so my HD is around 43 C, Core 62C (pretty steady), and Temp 1 (? Maybe my CPU?) is fluctuating between 53 and 63 C.

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Your pretty much shit out of luck unless you have a 7200rpm hard drive. If you do then you can switch it out for a 5400 one. It'll be slower but quiter and cooler.

If you really want to help the sound and have money to blow, check out the Intel X-25M SSD (link). It'll really help with the sound/heat problem and will also increase your computer's performance. The only downside is the price.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Install a solid-state hard drive. Newegg has a G.Skill 64GB one for $150 or so.

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

His whole issue revolves around a noise problem... fans spinning = noise.

5. Bish

Bish New Member

Yeah, thanks for the advice on harddrives but I just want to clarify that it's the fans I'm trying to deal with. The harddrive doesn't seem to be running too loud so far.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Ssd may reduce power consumption and generate less heat, so it might reduce the need for constant fan spinning. Pretty expensive for "might" though. Have you called support? Maybe there is a bug that is preventing your fan from slowing down.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

I actually took apart my old P4 dell laptop and peeled off the shitty inch thick thermal pad on the CPU and put some Arctic Silver on it. It made a big difference.

If you do that make sure you clean the surfaces before you put new grease on

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Note the edit.

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

If you've had it for a while, you should get some compressed air to clean the fans and heatsink fins off.

10. dave5678

dave5678 New Member