How do i make my house wireless?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I have SBC DSL, i have ethernet in my current desktop, and i have a new wireless laptop. What is a good wireless router ? Is that all i need is a wireless router? thanks

2. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

3. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Wireless speed only matters if you transfer a lot of data between machines on your LAN. The old 11Mbps wireless is still plenty of speed for most broadband.

The WRT54G is desireable to some for its ability to take hacked or 3rd party firmware that improves or adds features.

5. U Think U Know

U Think U Know OT Supporter

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

on the reviews everyone is complaining that there is no "3rd party firmware" and they say not to buy "version 5" of the router...what does all this mean, does this matter to me? I just want to be able to play BF2 on my laptop wireless in my house, thats about it.

7. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

8. U Think U Know

U Think U Know OT Supporter

Here is a list of some of the firmware available for the WRT54G: http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=21

There are many verions of the router, version 5 is the newest one and it looks like they are using new components. Maybe you should go to your local store and see if they have any older versions on the shelf if you want to run different firmware.

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Cool thanks for the help, im going to order the 54G off newegg, does anyone know of a artical that explains how to secure your wireless network? In newbie language? thanks

10. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

as far as wifi routers go the one-mile router sounds awesome http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=L-1-MILE-LITE-K12&cm_mmc=geekmail-_-daily_html-_-25oct05_L-1-MILE-LITE-K12-_-L-1-MILE-LITE-K12main and as far as securing it it depends on what router you get. if you do get the linksys router and you're connected to it go into the command prompt (start-run-cmd) and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and write down your ip gateway address. open up an explorer like IE and type that into the address bar and you should see a logon screen. if the router is fresh out of the box type in "admin" for the username and "admin" for the password. when it logs you in find a tab that deals with security and change the option to encrypt it. i recommend "wpa" encryption because it's easier to remember a passphrase than your wep-key. after you have everything how you want it save your changes and your router should reboot (depending on the router) then go to start-"connect to"-"wireless network" and view all wireless connections. choose yours and enter your wpa key where appropriate and really that's all that needs to be done on a small home network.

edit: forgot to ad, change your username and password to something other than admin. most of my neighbors have unencrypted wifi and they don't bother changing the default name and password. very unsafe.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  11. guchiew

guchiew Increase your killing power.

I was trying to find the EDU on encrypting wifi routers and I found this. Does anyone know where the EDU went? I'm going to try this in the morning.

12. Dusty1

Dusty1 New Member

YES......& A WEP KEY!!! LINKSYS...D-LINK....ARE GOOD ROUTERS!! SET/UP IS EZ AS PIE!:hsd: :hsd:

13. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

Yea setting up a wep key is easy. A 64-bit key is 10 characters long i believe. I usually just use an old phone number or soemthing heh. Usually keeps the neighbors out of it. Could also be used to sell internet to the neighbors :naughtyd:

Just dont get caught:nickos: