How do i make file transfers faster on my notebook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ebtek, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

i bought an external firewire/usb2 HD (160GIG) but my notebook only supports usb1.0 and no firewire :wtc:

can i get some sort of pcmcia usb2.0 or firewire adaptor?

2. percent

percent deluded

3. johnson

johnson New Member

4. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

why or how would you hookup a pcmcia card with an external case? :hsugh:

it goes in the little open slot you have on the side...if you put anything (harddrive, anything) in an external case and hook it up to your current usb ports, you are still limited by usb 1.0 restrictions...which is why you need to connect this directly through your pcmcia slot and then hookup your external hard drive through that...

you can probably even find a pcmcia card that has firewire and usb 2.0

and next time, there is a "computers & programming" section of offtopic where you should post this type of thing

5. percent

percent deluded

To mrburner:
    He wont be hooking it up to his current usb ports. The PCMCIA card plugged into the "little open slot you have on the side" will have new usb 2.0 ports to plug the external drive into.

Also, I dont know if they make combinded USB 2.0 and Firewire card, but he doesn't need both - only one (either one in this case).

6. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i was just trying to explain it to him in simple terms...i work IT full time and go to school (computer science major) full time

he stated he was thinking of just getting this and putting it in an external case which doesn't make any sense

7. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

if you had to choose, what would you get? usb2 or firewire?

i have a miniDV camcorder w/firewire so i'd probably get that

8. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/Adaptec_DuoConnect_for_Notebooks.htm
    http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/ADS_Dual_Link_Cardbus.htm
    http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/Orange_OrangeCombo_USB+FireWire_PC_Card.htm

that was just the first thing that came up on google when searching firewire usb 2.0 pcmcia

you can't really go wrong with usb 2.0 or firewire...i defenitely use usb much more often, but firewire is nice to have (i use firewire for both my dv camera and my ipod and i use usb for my lcd monitor, mouse, external sound processor, printer, digital camera, external hard drive, my usb jump drives, plus probably a few more since i'm at home right now on my laptop...desktop is sitting at school so thats all i remember off the top of my head)...so overall, usb is used much more often, but since you already have usb 1.0, i guess i'd go for firewire

btw, you can plug your external drive into your usb 1.0 slots and it will just read at usb 1.0 speeds...usb 1.0 and 2.0 are backwards compatable (which is why i suggested going with a firewire card)

if i were you, i'd go for a pcmcia card that has both or possibly just getting a new laptop...if yours only has usb 1.0 and no firewire, it must be at least a few years old and i'm not sure if spending more money on it is what you want to do...you can get a decent dell laptop now for $600 or so (might be a better deal if you are thinking about buying the usb/firewire cards i mentioned at the top of this post)

9. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit The Next Step of Human Evolution

moved to computers

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pcmcia = 16bit. I assume you want a "cardbus" controller ;)