how do i make an avatar in Photoshop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YesterdaysGone, Jan 14, 2005.

1. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

hey i have cropped many photos to the 150x150 pixel size, but when i save them (jpeg) they are around 17kb, not under 10 like the requirement. how do i shrink the filesize? it is photoshop 7, and i am saving them at the lowest quality, and still they are too big?!?!? how do i do it?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there's a Save for Web option. Select that, then you can optimize the image and view it real-time how it affects it. Usually a jpeg quality setting of 60% will yield a good-looking avatar that's small in size.

3. YesterdaysGone

thankyou sir. i was struggling on this, because i usually never care about filesize, (300gig HD)

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yep. However, when dealing with the intraweb you have to be very concerned about size. Bandwidth doesn't grow on trees! (oh I wish, lol)

5. YesterdaysGone

woohoo! i get to have a catchy avatar too now!!! thanks again, bud.

6. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

Another option that I find helps even after Photoshops's "Save for Web" feature is this:

http://www.netmechanic.com/GIFBot/optimize-graphic.htm

It's a nifty little tool you can use to compress images online. I've found it can often help give you a better idea of what an image will look like on a page then Photoshop does. You can even hover over the images to see a before/after style view.

It does ask for an email but a) I've never gotten anything when I used a real account and b) when I've used a fake account (like [email protected]), it still works just fine.

Testing it on your avatar, I saw it could be crunched in HALF (58%) and still look about the same. On mine I saw I could do like 67%..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005