GUN how do i know what a "good" m1 garand is?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Oct 20, 2006.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

besides obvious cosmetic issues

serial # range? lack or addition of features?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

what do you mean by "good" as in valuable? All original non refinished, nonexported then reimported is a good start.

3. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

well you should be looking at barrel barrel barrel. measurements like TE and ME, taken with the proper tools, will give you an insight into how much life is left in the barrel.

i would hate to get a nice looking M1 that shot like shit.

Moving on there a few differences, most notable there were a few different companies contracted to make the M1. I think HRA's fetch the most but I'm not certain. Then you have Springfield of course and Winchester rounding out the big names.

Some receivers, I think pre 2.5 million were lead dipped apparently to anneal the metal and allow it to handle the stresses of rifle grenade firing.

Early Garands used the gas-trap system. Other minor differences may include straight or curved op rods, stamped or milled trigger guards, and gas systems.

Overall, for the beginner, I would say "good" means a decent looking stock, some dings are to be expected since its ~60 yrs old. The metal shouldn't be pitted or rusting. The barrel, when inspected should have nice visible rifling inside and no pitting, and then guage it to make sure.

Have fun

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i dont know. a good shooter? that son of a bitch ewrxshun got me looking at them and now i want one :mad: :o

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok for a good shooter main thing is to check out the barrel make sure its not all shot out. No magic S/N number ranges never heard of one manafactuer shooting any better then another, cosmetics aren't a big deal I have C&R rifles that exteriorly look great but almost no rifling left on the other hand my one mosin looks like it served the entire length of WWII but the bore exc.

6. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Id say one that was made during WWII would be one of interest. But you are not only looking for a low number gun, but a mostly complete gun. They made many revisions to the garand just during WWII alone. I got lucky. Mine is a 2.68 million 1944 but is all original except for I have to replace the gas tube nut/screw and the rear sight assembly.

My brother on the other hand got something like a 49500 serial number 1940 but the barel has since been replaced along with a handful of parts internally and the stock as well.

I like my garand much much more. Its in better shape and its almost all matching parts except for the one previously mentioned.

It all comes down to what you want in the end. If something looks like a good deal, it might be.