how do i kick someone off or my router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kilabeez0, Mar 14, 2009.

1. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

i keep seeing a neighbors computer (must be) appearing when i open my linksys program. i have put security on but i still see it occasionally and i dont know why. how do i remove it manually? when i open the linksys program, theres a section called computers that lists everything connected. i have no idea how to manually remove it and i've tried everything. it's a WRT54G wireless router. Thanks for any help.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

you need to log into your router and go to the "connected clients" tab (or something like that) and remove him.

mine has a button to disconnect and when I hit it I'm prompted with basically "forever?" and I hit yes. if he spoofs his MAC then he could get back on but most people don't bother.

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Limit the number of IP's your router can assign to how many you yourself need. Use MAC address filtering. Are you using WPA?

4. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

i would set it so that only listed mac addresses can utilize the router. this is how you would do that.

log into the router setup page. normally done by inputting 192.168.1.1 in a browser. the default has no username and password is admin

click on wireless(second from left) then wireless mac filter (second from right in the blue area)

then put enable wireless MAC filter and check off Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network.

then you will need to manually enter the MAC addresses of the computers you want to have access to the network. that is done by clicking on the edit MAC filter list.

Then save settings.

In the future anyone will be able to see the network but it will never connect, and to me it is better than wpa or any of those other decryption methods. a small investment in entering the mac addresses is not too bad.

that is for a 54wrt router btw

5. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

It sounds like you don't have your security setup properly. Don't use WEP encryption as it is easily cracked.

Use at least WPA or WPA2 with a long and random passphrase, preferably at least 20 characters in length.

You can also disable SSID broadcasting and use MAC filtering but I personally wouldn't bother as the security that they provide is about on par with WEP. Limiting DHCP leases doesn't help either.

6. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

wow that worked great thanks! any idea how i can remove the computers that are listed under "computers" when i open the linksys program on it's main page? if i can clean that up, i'll know that no one else is signing on to my shit. thanks again.

7. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

and one more thing, on the main page of the linksys program, in the upper right corner it has a box labeled network status, and underneath it says PROBLEM internet connection is not working, and gives me a box that says repair connection or remind me later. i've tried to "fix" it but it always says the same thing. ???