SRS how do i help her get over her ex?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thesuffering, Mar 21, 2007.

1. thesuffering

thesuffering New Member

so a good friend of mine is having issues getting over her ex. she was in an abusive relationship, and they broke up back in december. her most recent contact with him was around the end of january. she was at a party at a friends house, and passed out on the bed, she woke up to her ex punching her in the face. she ended up calling the cops on him and sending him to jail, but she still cant get him out of her head. she is afraid to go anywhere in public on the off chance she may run into him, she has dreams at night where he is yelling at her. she has made some progress, but she still is having issues. what would be the best way to help her? ive told her talking to someone (therapist, pastor, etc) would be best. talking to me is good, but i think someone in a professional level may be able to help more. any more ideas?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

she need professional counseling and a restraining order

3. johan

johan Active Member

Look up WAVAW in your area (phone book) and give her the number. That's a start.

Next, find the number of a good therapist in your area, and give her that number.
    You can ask your family physician, or else simply direct her to her own family physician to start a referral to a qualified therapist.

Then just be a shoulder to lean on. That's all. The heavy lifting needs professionals.

4. Isaac

Isaac New Member

Watch her to make sure she doesn't seek out another abusive relationship, because certain people are magnets for that. Basically all you can do is tell her it's not her fault and that she just picked the wrong guy. The worst thing she can do is think this is a reflection on her or her actions.

That's assuming she didn't cheat on him or anything. Either way, the guy hitting her is a firing squad offense. What a psychopath.