How do I get rid of quick launch icons?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by odog402, Jul 30, 2004.

1. odog402

odog402 New Member

I'm getting tired of all those icons on the bottom right of my taskbar. How do I set it so when I start up Windows, they don't appear?

2. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

the ones next to start is quick launch
    the ones next to clock is sys tray

you should be able to set each one you dont want in tools->settings/preferences/options

for instance, winamp preferences -> general preferences -> uncheck system tray

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Each icon has it's own unique means of being turned off so there isn't a catch all answer for you. You have to find it in each program - and some don't even provide an option.

4. user32

user32 Guest

find out what each program is doing and then either unisnstall it or disable it. Each little icon in your system tray is constantly running. If you have quite a few running they can eat up quite a bit of ram & processing.

5. boileralum

boileralum ODB

or kill them off in the registry...

6. odog402

odog402 New Member

I know there's a way to configure your system so that when Windows starts up, they don't come up at all. I know you go to start>run> and then i forgot what to do.

7. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

8. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

do you mean the actual "Quick Launch"? or the task tray icons? if the latter read previous posts, the former: right click an empty space in your task bar, or the clock, Toolbars > uncheck Quick Launch

9. odog402

odog402 New Member

I'm sorry, I think I mean those tray icons. You know, the ones that appear right next windows clock.

10. lilgonz

lilgonz The Great Gonzo, Smile it'll make you feel better OT Supporter

you could try msconfig from the run promt and look in the startup tab and uncheck what you don't want running.

11. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

is it just the icons you want to get rid of, or do you actually want to keep the programs from running on startup?

12. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

If you're running Windows XP, you can set it up to hide those icons. If you right-click on the taskbar and select Properties, at the bottom of the dialog box, there is a check box that says "Hide inactive icons". Click that. Then, you can click the Customize button, and it will give you a list of the icons that are currently there, along with icons that have been there at some point. You can then set each of those icons to either be visible all the time, be hidden all the time, or to become hidden when that program has been inactive.

But, like it has been said already, that is only hiding icons. Icons appearing in the system tray depend on the program. Sometimes, programs have options to not put an icon there. Sometimes you're stuck with it, as long as the program is running. I know nothing of registry hacks, so my last statement may not be accurate if there is a way to hack the registry to get rid of them...