how do i get my SATA hard drive working

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sandwich, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

i tried to build a computer with my raptor 10k rpm sata drive and it kept messing up the startup of the computer, i couldnt get past the bios. i finally plugged in a IDE hard drive and everything was good (installed xp pro, etc) so now im finally in windows...but if i go to the hardware device manager, my 10k rpm drive is listed under "disk drives" but there is nothing showing in 'my computer'! does anyone know what the problem is here? this really messed me up because i planned on having my OS and games installed on the 10k rpm sata drive and just use the 7200rpm IDE for storage.

2. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

reboot with your system exactly as it is now, go into bios, enable sata. at this point you may/probably/will have to install sata drivers for you hd.

from there, see if you can see the drive in windows (just as a verification that the drive isnt DOA or anything) from that point, i would reboot again, go back into bios, change the boot order so that the sata drive has higher priority than the ide drive, reinstall windows (no good/easy way around that) and you should be good

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

you won't see your drive under "my computer" until the drive has been partitioned AND formatted. You should see it under your disc configuration however. Right click "my computer" select "manage" and it's called "Disk management". In there it will let you format or whatever. If you want to install your OS onto the SATA drive, you don't need to format there. Just enable SATA in your bios, and windows xp setup will format the drive for you. Good luck.

4. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

ok i got it working, so now its possible to put windows on my new F:\ drive. is it possible to make this the new c:\ drive? that would make things much easier in the future..

also how do i delete windows from the IDE drive and get rid of that list of OS's to choose on bootup?

thanks for the help guys

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

It would be quicker and easier to reinstall. Just turn the system off, unplug the ide hard drive and boot off the xp cd. It will then tell you to press F6 if you want to load a 3rd party driver, which you do. Insert the floppy disk the motherboard should have come with and let it install the driver. Then continue with the xp install. Make sure you remove all the partitions on the sata drive and make sure to format the drive, otherwise windows will be on F drive, which is just a pain in the ass.

6. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

ok so i unplug the ide hard drive and boot it up with the xp cd in the cdrom...and then it just freezes in the bios. it says "verifying dmi pool data..." and it stays like that. this is exactly what it used to do.. :(

7. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

no one? what does 'verifying DMI pool data' mean? and yes, i did read the manual