how do i get my gf the birth control shot

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by MudRacer4x4, Apr 1, 2008.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

Does planned parenthood offer it? We don't have a ton of money but I really want to get her on it? Whats the first step?

2. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

:hsugh:

The first step would be to talk to HER about it.

But yes, PP offers many different kinds of birth control.

3. misterjoanna

misterjoanna New Member

easy there, bro, does she want to be on it?

i've heard mixed reviews about the shot. i'm assuming you're fairly young, in which case the pill is probably her best option, as long as her doctor ok's it. young women don't typically use the shot as it can be inconvenient to go to the doctor that often and they're still developing reproductively and the shot is very disruptive to the menstrual cycle.

4. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

Get your facts straight. It's more convenient to go to PP for a shot once every 3 months than to try and remember to take a pill every day, and have to go get a new pack every month.

ALL birth control is 'disruptive' to the menstrual cycle. The shot is usually not recommended for younger girls who are still growing because it's been proven to cause a loss in bone density over time.

5. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

lol there are reasons girls are not lining up for the shot..

6. misterjoanna

misterjoanna New Member

:ugh:yikes...i was talking about the reviews i'd heard. if the girl is in high school or doesn't have access to a PP, it might be easier for her to take a pill every day, which you can get multiple packs of in one visit or pick them up in 5 minutes at the pharmacy every month. that's what i did at that age. convenience is relative.

also, women i've known who have done depo lost their period while they were on it and it can take quite a while for their cycle to become regular again. it's much more disruptive and has health risks further than just osteoperosis. bone density loss is among the dangers, so let's just agree that for MudRacer's sake that nothing is entirely safe he and his girlfriend should make an informed decision.

7. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

take her to pp, its free

/thread

8. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I'm on depo - have been since I was 17 (I'm 25 now), so it's ok for some young girls. As far as being 'disruptive' to my menstual cycle - hell yeah it is, and I love it!!! I haven't had my period since about a year after I've been on it and its awesome. There are also many other bc's that do this as well, they might not completly eliminate the cycle, but they make it less (like 4 times a yr). Not having your period is not always a bad thing! Yes, it can take some time to get your regular cycle back, but again, thats not entirely a bad thing, especially if you're not planning on trying to have a baby any time soon (which most younger girls aren't anyway). Some girls might not like it b/c they appreciate the "security" of having a period (ie; knowing they're not prego), but as far as it being BAD for them, thats not really true.

The loss of bone density is a concern, but the studies show that the density returns to normal within a few months after you get off of it, so its not as bad as it looks.

I cant speak for the convenience factor, thats really different for everyone. I love not having to take the pill everyday and the visit to get the shots are really short, but that really depends on the person.

All that said, no bf should be "trying to get his gf on the shot" with out her involvement. Hell, it should be up to her what kind of bc she's on at all.

9. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I was on that shot for 2 years and it was the single worst decision I've ever made. I could sit here and name off all my side effects, but the only one's you'd be interested in was the extremely low sex drive and really painful sex.

She could be fine with it- it could tear her body to shreds. Have her do her own research and make her own decision. Don't try to get her to do it because you can't handle no having sex 4 days out of the month. :hsugh:

10. fray

fray New Member

3 month? try 1 year.

11. fray

fray New Member

oh...had this too... dry as all hell. and gained 15 lbs.

12. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The first step should be her talking to her doctor. There can be many complications, she should really have a medical and gyno exam before considering her options.

If she isn't comfortable going on BC, buy some condoms.

13. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Which just goes to show everyone (especially the OP here) that the side effects from different bc's are different on every girl - a lot of girls here hated it, I love it and know others that do too. His gf really needs to get with her doctor and talk about whats right for her, not just whats most "convenient".

14. razi

razi New Member

regular birth control did that to my girl... stupid hormones.

15. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

you don't DO anything. You let her decide, and support her decision.

16. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

no you dont. girls need to be told what they should do

17. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

I lost like 15 pounds on depo. It was okay, used it for 2 years, didn't have any bleeding after 1 month. :O That was a huge plus. No periods.

18. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Can't tell if you're being serious or not, so I will respond as if you are.

Having sex with a girl who needs to be told what to do regarding birth control is not the best idea...that's something to be discussed with her and her doctor, or her, her family, and doctor.

The average guy isn't well qualified to give advice about female BC...I know I'm not.

19. magik

magik New Member

Planned Parenthood does have the Depo shot, I have been on it since I was 16. Yes it can mess with your periods but that was just a plus for me. Never gained a pound while on it either, I see a lot of girls complaining about weight gain but that's a common side effect of most birth control.

You go every 3 months it's easy as pie and the only birth control I'll use.

Also: They do offer Depo at your pharmacy too, you just need a prescription. So the question of it not being "available" is completely inaccurate.

20. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

:rofl: at forcing your gf to take the shot.

21. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

Seriously, I recommend talking to HER about it. and finding out if SHE wants it. If she has her doubts you need to support that. Condoms work 99 percent of the time. They wont have potentially dangerous side effects.

22. magik

magik New Member

Yeah, out here up until you're 19 everything is SO cheap.

23. pirothezero

pirothezero New Member

Ya I thought the same thing when I saw the title.

I can only imagine the reasons you want to go straight for the shot and bypass something like nordetta or some other form of birth control pill. You strike me as the type of person that wants her on depo so you can go buck wild and not have to worry about where you finish.

This isn't something that should be forced on someone else. Talk to her about birth control while at the same time telling her where you stand but that in the end it's her decision.

24. kiri

kiri New Member

i went off the shot in favor of the ring... i like it better. the shot stops your period completely (which is worrisome to me, i like the monthly reminder that i'm not pregnant :o) plus it had severe side effects during the adjustment period. ultimately i went off of it because it's bad for your bones and i have family history of osteoporosis.

tell your gf to go to planned parenthood or talk to her gyno and decide which BC is best for her. until then, use condoms!