How do I get a tv show to decorate my condo's lobby? v. on the water

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Xicculus, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

I'm the condo president of a small building on the water in Miami, FL. Our lobby was designed 25 years ago and looks like pure shit, but there is SO much potential.

To make matters worse, our lobby was flooded during the hurricanes of 2 years ago, and all the residents of the building put $5,000 into a fund (there are 12 of us) to renovate and beautify the lobby... and then the ex-condo President stole all the money.

Long story short she was arrested and will go to trial next month, but the bottom line is that we don't have enough money to properly renovate our lobby professionally.

There are a plethora of 'design on a dime' kind of shows on tv, how do I attract one of them to our building to see what they can do to help us? It would make for great tv because the water and sunrise views are magnificent, and they contrast so strikingly with the lobby which is dingy and in disrepair.

Any suggestions?

2. 2000e46

2000e46 New Member

Each should have a web site. I'm sure you just fill out some kind of online application and send some photos or something for them to review.

3. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

go to one of their websites. You can start on hgtv.com or some other channel that airs that kind of show. different shows have different requirements. Some ask for a video, some an email, and I even saw a posting for one on Craigslist.

Depending on the show, some will ask you to put up like $20K, some won't ask for anything at all. Of course, in general, the quality of the makeover will increase as the amount of money you put up goes up. Color Splash on HGTV, for example, was asking for something like $2700 from each client, that they'd more than match, so you'd end up getting something like $10K total with their contribution. The quality of their makeovers isn't great, but they do make a huge difference.

Personally, I wouldn't go with Design on a Dime, because their stuff pretty much sucks and sometimes I even think it ends up coming out worse than before they started. There's a new one called Deserving Design with Vern Yip that's pretty good, but I think your situation would have to be pretty fucked up to get on that. You can always try though :hs:

4. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

LOL, you should see our lobby, its pretty damn ugly.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not well versed in the different shows, I'll look up Color Splash on HGTV, what are some of the other shows?

5. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

FYI, this is the page to get onto any of HGTV's shows:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/be_on_hgtv/

Unfortunately for me, all of the shows have geographic requirements that don't include Miami. San Fran, LA, Washington NYC and Chicago look like their targets.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm also thinking of going to an interior design school and getting one of the students to do it on the cheap for his/her portfolio, but I don't know how that would work.

6. cedric

Probably your best bet. You might actually want to find an interior designer just out of school to do it for really cheap, because they get a pretty hefty discount on materials and furniture if they have their ID license :hs:

and I actually ran into the host of Color Splash at the gym :mamoru:

7. Gomer

Gomer New Member

E-Mail them regardless of location. Explain the full situation because every show wants a heartfelt special and to do something great for another. Also, getting it out to them allows it to be in the hands of people with the most connections...

8. cedric

I'd suggest looking into getting into Divine Design, because Candice Olson does fucking spectacular work, but there's no way you guys have the budget for something like that. I'm guessing most of these makeovers start in the 25-30K range and go up to 50-60K on the conservative end. Plus it's a Canadian show. It's still nice to dream though :hs:

http://www.divinedesign.tv/master.asp

9. jeyur

jeyur cum fairy OT Supporter

i like watching those shows :o

10. cedric

I'm pretty annoyed that HGTV only plays reDesign on fucking weekdays at 11am :ugh:

11. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

Actually, we can go to 25k-30k as our max budget. I'm going to see if I can get in touch with them.

Any other shows or suggestions?