How do I find what's draining my battery?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by squid, Mar 12, 2008.

1. squid

squid braap

If I park my 03 Avalanche for a while the starter cranks slowly. If I drive it, shut it off, then start it, it cranks ok. I guess something is draining it. Nothing obvious--no lights, nothing running that I don't immediately see. How else can I figure out where the drain is?

Assuming it's a drain somewhere...if you's have any other ideas let me know.

2. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

since its an 03...im going to assume you've had the same battery since you bought the vehicle, which would make the battery almost 6 years old.

it might just be time for a new battery

3. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Yup, the battery is probably on it's way out if it's more than a couple years old.

4. Geezle

Geezle Sweetness :love:

That's the same way my car was acting when the battery had a dead cell.

A lot of auto-electric places will run a quick electrical test to tell you if it's your battery or something else causing the problem for free.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My battery is ten years old and it's fine. Whether it lasts more than a couple of years depends largely on climate and on whether it's ever been drained completely dead before -- draining a wet-cell battery causes electrode material to flake off and settle at the bottom of the battery, which will cause the battery to drain faster in the future.

Anyway, your best bet is to pull fuses one at a time and let the vehicle sit overnight each time, until the battery stops being weak in the morning, which indicates that the circuit you disconnected the night before is the one with the problem.

6. squid

squid braap

I thought about it being a dead battery but a) it happened all of a sudden, not gradually, b) the thing actually does crank quickly after it's been driven, and c) when I checked it out, it appeared to be a replacement, it's not an AC Delco battery. A cheap as fuck replacement, but a replacement nonetheless.

I'm going to go to Pep Boys and get it tested though. Thanks.

7. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

Do you like to make things complicated? :rofl:

OP, go to autozone and have them check your battery. Prob time for a new one.

8. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

9. deusexaethera

I addressed the possibility of a dead/old battery. The second part was about tracing down a leak, which is much easier to do before he replaces the battery, because he'll actually be able to notice when the battery stops getting drained.

Fine, I'll make it simple. Disconnect the battery terminals overnight, and if it still chugs when you start it in the morning, the battery is shot. Otherwise, you have a current leak.

10. squid

squid braap

new battery, all is well. 800 mha Bosch from Pep Boys. Swapped it out in the rain like a good Darwin candidate.

11. bbo

bbo New Member

what would rain have to do with it? now if it was and AC battery (lol) ....

did pep boys test out the old battery for you?

12. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

13. deusexaethera

Booyah nothin'. I never said it wasn't an old battery. I explained how he could trace down a current leak -- which is to say, I was the only person in this thread who actually answered his question.

Of course a new battery works well. We'll see if it's shot to hell again in six months, though, won't we?

14. squid

squid braap

It was a cheap as fuck 650cca no-name battery in there, it probably just went bad fast.

15. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

i agree with deus, one of my older 4x4s which i used only for having fun on the weekends and doing. i had a current leak from a wire that had some rubbed insolation. if you are having a current drain leak, a new battery is only a temp fix. pepboys and autozone cannot diagnose a problem like that and you would pay a mechanic a retarded amount to find it.

fuses is actually a good idea, and if not then start thinking about electrical items that are "always hot" such as radio (typically only aftermarket, if its wired as such, check your subs if you didnt wire them, some people wire em hot like dumbasses) and things like cigarette lighters.

16. deusexaethera

Thinking about it, I've never had a battery with more than 400ccA when new, and I think I replaced the battery in my old car once, and never in my current car.

So something is still fucked up with your electrical system.

17. squid

squid braap

There is no aftermarket electrical equipment on it

I guess I'll put the old battery in there, charge it up, then yank the cable and see if it still chugs

18. deusexaethera

Does your truck have a voltmeter on the dash? Are you sure the alternator is putting out 14V like it's supposed to?

19. squid

squid braap

yes and it is

20. onefastGTI

onefastGTI what?

Did the '03's still have that under hood light that likes to stay on after the hood is closed?

21. squid

squid braap

I don't have a light.

I put the old battery in, charged it up, disconnected it, let it sit for a while, then tried to start it. It chuged. Battery is toast.

I do think 2 new batteries (even a garbage one) in 5 years is a bit weird, but who knows what the previous owner did to the thing.