SRS How do I find my birth mother?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by verbal, Nov 7, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in On Topic. Mods, please move it if you think it'll get better answers there.

Long story short, I'm a surrogate child. As far as I know, one of the first few in the country. When my parents married, my mother (the one that raised me) had a hysterectomy. My father really wanted a child and they heard about surrogacy. The contacted a lawyer who's specialty was adoption and he helped them. They went on the Phil Donahue show a few times to find my birth mother. They eventually found one in Knoxville, TN. Inseminated her with my fathers sperm, and the rest is history.

The only information I have is her name, birth date, and city of residence between 1977 - 1978.

Anyone know how I could find her? I've done a lot of Internet searching but it doesn't really lead anywhere. I would like to do this on my own, without hiring someone. But if I have to hire someone I will.

I would also love to find the Phil Donahue episodes that my parents were on. They have to be in storage somewhere. I have tried contacting the local affiliate network that he was on back in the day but my requests go unanswered.

2. Traker82

Traker82 New Member

Try contacting the show asking if they want you for a "follow up" episode. (not sure if the show is still on) Maybe they will help you for the ratings.

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

Phil Donahue has been off the air since the early 90's.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

Just found out about Troy Dunn. I really don't want to air my story on national TV and my dad enjoys the 'privacy.' I don't want to upset him by airing it. BUT I'm not totally ruling it out.

I was going to send them my info and see if they call me. When entering the info it asks if it's adoption related. This isn't really adoption related, but it's close. Or should I just say I want to find my mother? Not sure what to put. I wonder which one they give more attention to.

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

Could a mod please move this to On Topic?

6. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

why not remake it there?

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

I thought cross posting was frowned on. :dunno:

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

meh, so long as its not postwhoring, who cares?

9. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

A different group of people post here than in On Topic, so most of them won't even see both threads