GUN How do I find a local FFL?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jumpem, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

2. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

where do you live? Also they aren't bad but I don't reccomend them. i had one, it was an ar pistol and it was ok. I'd put one together if you have the money which you do if you are getting a carbon 15.

3. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

I live in NY. :hs:

We still have to abide by the assault weapons ban. So I would have to hunt around for pre-ban high capacity magazines as well. How does one prove that a magazine is pre-ban or not?

I have shot an AR on a few occassions, but don't have experience servicing/building them. So I would prefer to buy something assembled, and am open to suggestions.

4. natelam

natelam New Member

Check the Gunbroker.com FFL search list. Some of them are updated, but for the most part are pretty good. -N

5. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I wouldn't reccommend an AR for home defense.

6. thomor25

thats what I was gonna do Her eis the link to it. http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp just enter your zip

Also there is a used carbon at the gun shop near me I think he wants 700 something for it.

7. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

I've heard they are ok if you get defensive ammo that fragments. But I don't have much experience outside of internet research.

It's either that or a pistol-caliber carbine. I don't like the recoil from shotguns, and I'd prefer to be comfortable with what I am shooting.

As for a handgun, if that's what you were implying, a CCW isn't the easiest thing to get in NY in general, and my county in particular. I've heard you need to have a good reason such as a security guard or someone that makes large cash bank deposits to easily obtain one. So I just wanted to get a rifle for now, and maybe try that route in the future.

8. thomor25

the carbon 15 has a 9mm version but the mag well only accepts the 9mm pistol mags cause its only drilled out that much.

9. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

:cool:

Thanks.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

why not?

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Why would you not recommend one of the best possible choices for home defense?

(ibshotgunmythsagain)

12. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Is there any reason you'd want a Carbon 15 rather than anything else? Just curious. Is it the weight?

13. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

I was looking around on the Armalite and Bushmaster websites, and comparing things. the Carbon 15 seems to weigh half as much, and I see that as a plus. :dunno:

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I do not disagree that an AR is an excellent home-defense weapon if setup properly... However, please do not discredit a shotgun, which is also an excellent home-defense weapon.

15. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

Define "setup properly"? Not neing sarcastic or anything.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Having a huge tele-scope, and rediculously long barrel may make it a good hunting/target gun... but not practical for home defense.

Short barrel, collapsable stock, and perhaps an eotech 551 would make an excellent home-defense weapon.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I didn't say anythign was wrong with a shotgun its just that the type of "I wouldn't ever use an ar15..." is the type of post that usually leads to someone telling us how rifle rounds will zip through 28 homes and children, shotguns don't need to be aimed, the sound of shotguns means you never have to use them, and shotguns are safer with regards to overpentration. Its usually the same old myths over and over again. I hope he is bringing something different.

Anyway Jumpem, something to consider, if you aren't going to be carrying this rifle around with you, weight might not be a big deal. I'd probably go for something more vanilla, say something from stag or RRA and spend the rest of your money on training or practice ammo. You might also want to read up on twist rates and ammo selection, i would want a 1:7 twist barrel personally.

18. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

I am on that path. The ones I have been looking at are ~35", which seems to be about the shortest I have come across. i was looking to get one of those holographic sites, as all I am concerned about is short range and being quick on target. No collapsable stocks in NY.

19. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Just looked at the model you linked to. It is light. :bigthumb:

I think all of mine are closer to 10 pounds.

20. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

NY is just as bad as CA then... We are allowed collapsible stocks though. :mamoru:

21. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

Noted. :wavey:

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what about collapsable stocks with cotter pins?

Thank God I live in Orygun and have a little freedom with my firearms.

23. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

This is what I am going by:

An "assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher;

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September 13, 1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

So we can have a detachable magazine and just one "evil" feature. And every AR-15 has a pistol grip, so that rules out having any other features.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my understanding is the "colapsable" stock with a cotterpin was considered "fixed".

25. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

:dunno:

Couldn't you easily remove the pin though?