How do i figure out if my FI's are bad?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by noxxs, Dec 4, 2006.

1. noxxs

noxxs New Member

I've been trying to get this TLS running for a little while now, honestly i havent had a whole lot of time to work on it lately, but i just got to it the other day. i had it running for about a half a mile, then when i got it back to the shop it died on me. i've got spark and no reason to think combustion is gone, so i'm thinking fuel.

i took the fuel pump and filter out of the tank and tried to clean out the filter using some break cleaner sprayed in the opposite way of the flow direction. i've always been told that you can tell if a fuel filter is clogged by blowing through it. if its hard to blow through it's time for a new one, anyone care to verify?

after that i took the FIs out and cleaned them and put it all back together. when i turned the bike back on, i heard the fuel pump prime for pressure and then i heard a psssssst coming out of some line. so i tilted the tank up and primed it again and got a nice shot of gasoline to the face from the rear FI. i'm gonna go back and try to get the FI to seal, i think it just wasnt seated well...or at least i hope that.

but what i'm wondering is how will i know if the FI is bad? is it safe to take it out of the port and turn the engine over a couple of times and see if it shoots?

or more importantly does anyone else have any ideas as to where i should look?

2. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

maybe the tank is sealing completely and creates a vacuum when gas is drawn out and the talk isnt breathing.

i know my cousin had that happen to him about half a mile away from his house everytime he rode his bike after he relined the tank. walked it home like 6 times before figuring that out

3. noxxs

noxxs New Member

i don't think so because there is a breather vent on the tank, but i'll check it out and see if its plugged.