How do I deodorize my car?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by whitersx, Jan 29, 2005.

1. whitersx

whitersx Cocky.

i need help removing a musky wet smell from my car, sometimes we get some heavy rain here and the inside of my car smells wet almost, is there any way to freshen it up? this happens kind of often so is there a way to have the car air constantly being cleaned?

2. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

I had that problem. Temporary solution is to turn the ac on with the dial all the way to hot. Long term solution is to change out the cabin filter in your car. That is, if you have one.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You are going to need to shampoo or even better, use an extractor to clean the interior. You can rent one at a supermarket usually. Once you finish, leave all the doors open to facilitate drying. I believe you can also find sprays that you can use on your vent system to clean them out but you may have to take apart the dash to get to everything.

Some detail shops have ozone generators that will neutralize the smells, but clean the interior as best you can first.

4. I remember seeing a thing in J.C. Whitney catalog one time that was used to keep the hot air in cars from sitting their and getting hotter while the windows are rolled up all day in the summer. It basically was tiny blower motor that had about a 1" vent that you stuck between a partially open side window and the window frame (or car body if you didn't have a window frame). It was solar powered so it didn't draw off your battery. Once you got the musty smell out, something like that might help you keep the air circulated. Of course it would make it easier for a thief to open the door via the cracked window and it wouldn't be good if it started raining.

Just a thought.

5. As far as the musty smell goes, I had some wet dogs in my Suburban once that left their odor when they got out. I put a paper plate with a layer of Arm & Hammer baking soda in the truck for a day or two until the odor was gone. It worked.