SRS How do I convince my dad to go to the hospital

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by popsnbeer, Jan 22, 2010.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Hi guys. My dad (54 y/o), 5 years prior had a heart attack, has been having some difficulties as of late. His doctors took him off of his painkillers (chronic pain) because of his addiction, oxycodine 5mg taken multiple times per day.

It has been about 4 days now and he is starting to mix other types of leftover painkillers, anti depression meds, and other things I am unaware of. he has depression, no appetite, and chronic pain all over. The doctors have mentioned that he needs to go to an inpatient psychiatric hospital here in Phoenix, and they wont see him anymore. He wont go!

Technically he doesn't really know that much of the family knows what is going on and does not want to share his 'weakness' with us (at least this is my perception. One of those people who likes to appear strong). Him and my mom live together about 50 miles away from us and she has asked for us not to visit b/c of his severe depression and pain. I am not sure what to do here though. She can't get him to go to the hospital because he thinks he is going to be 'locked up' just like a movie scenario.

Should I get my family together and do an intervention? What methods can I do to figure this situation out? Are there free hotlines to call for this type of situation? What type of advice should I be seeking? I am holding together just fine, but am worried for him. There are 4 of us 'kids' (all in our twenties), with spouses and children, who would give him our full support...only if we knew what to do. Last thing I want is to make it worse...

Thanks for your help OT :hug:

2. Unspun

Unspun New Member

:( I wish I had better advice for you, but sadly I went through the same thing.

My story:
    My grandmother raised me. She self-medicated herself into her grave.

Unfortunately his age and addictions are not in his favor as far as his health is concerned. I think an intervention is a good idea, and it will certainly let him know that you guys care about him enough to try and stop his behavior. I cannot say for certain that it will work though.
    Question: What do you mean by he won't go/doctors won't treat him? that statement was a little confusing, which is it? Will they not see him or is he too afraid to go? Is it both? If so there are government agencies for this sort of thing, but your mother would need to be the one to pursue that avenue.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

he wont go = he wont go to the hospital

the doctors wont see him = they recommend him to go to the hosptial (inpatient psychiatric) b/c there is nothing they can do.

i hope that helps...

4. Unspun

Unspun New Member

Oh my bad, the reason I got confused is because my grandmother's psychotherapist refused to treat her in-patiently anymore at a certain point. I would now suggest then, that your mother have him committed against his will for purposes of a true detoxification and then some extensive therapy for the first couple of months. Health-wise there is not much you can do now, but emotionally you might still be able to save him.