SRS How do I control my road rage?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by guchiew, Nov 30, 2007.

1. guchiew

guchiew Increase your killing power.

After final exams, I am going to find a therapist. I mostly get angry while driving. I know not to make eye contact. How can I rationalize the situation so that I stay calm? I have a bad anger problem that stretches beyond the road, but this is where most of my anger comes out. I rarely lose my temper on the road, but I get angry almost everyday.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Driving in heavy traffic is frustrating because it gives random people control over you -- all they have to do is be in front of you, no other qualifications necessary. Shit happens.

Think of all the shit you've done while trying to get around everyone on the road that has pissed off other drivers, realize that you probably deserve to be inconvenienced in return, turn on some music, and relax. Save your energy for something where you can accomplish something more meaningful than getting to your destination 30 seconds sooner. Or, channel that energy into looking for perfect opportunities to pass the hell out of people, and bide your time until you can make your move. That's what I do; my daily commute is just one giant game of Frogger.

3. guchiew

Thanks for the suggestions. I think that my road rage has something to do with seeing my car as freedom. Maybe I should try to look at it differently. Also, I get the angriest when people run me off of the road or tailgate; not so much driving slow in front of me. Pretty much any type of selfish driving that puts me in danger. I know that I've done it before too.

4. deusexaethera

That ties in with what I said pretty well, even if the specific circumstances that piss you off are different.

However, if someone's tailgating you, you should move out of the way and let them pass. Otherwise, you're just making them angry too.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I agree with Dues about the control stuff.

I would suggest you think about time a different way. I mean we all get frustrated when we think we're going to be late and traffic is moving slowly. However, it's our perception of time and our relative lateness that's the issue.....so instead of waiting till the last minute to leave, leave earlier so it's not and issue.

You know....most people would be surprised at how short 15 seconds can be yet how profound your placement on a highway is. Usually 15 seconds in the future is out of sight from your current position. However, is arriving 15 or even 30 seconds later going to affect anything at all?? Ok so sometimes it will but most times, it doesn't.

Regarding tailgaters, try this sometime.....just turn all your mirrors down. Make them so you can't see backwards. It's funny but this simple little trick has helped me stay or get clam in bad traffic. I don't give a shit if someone wants to tailgate me or not....I'll just slow down so that if the flow slows, they won't hit me and push me into the car in front.

6. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

I'm convinced that road rage has taken at least 10 yrs off of my lifespan.

7. deusexaethera

I agree with not worrying about tailgaters in bad traffic, but since I suspect I might be the kind of driver that pisses off the OP, I'd like to point out that if he can move aside without causing inconvenience, that he should move aside. I bring this up because where I live, people will drive next to each other, for no good reason, for miles and miles and sometimes the only way I can get around them and carry on with my drive is to pass on the shoulder, because those people seem to think they're entitled to stay right where they are instead of having to make room for others on public roadways.

So yeah, if there's brake lights as far as the eye can see, then just relax and go with the flow since you don't have any other choice anyway, but if you're the one guy in the left lane and there's ten people behind you trying to pass, don't be an asshole about it.

8. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

How big of a car do you have?

My road rage was really bad when I had my F-350, but it got better when I moved to a smaller truck b/c I realized I wasnt big enough to bully my way around.

9. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Your 350 still isn't big enough.
    I drive a mazda protege and before that a Geo Tracker.

My view of big cars trying to push me around has always been that in order for them to push me around they need to be willing to fuck up there car.

I mean, what can you do to ME without making physical contact with my car?

I let you get angry, I let you flash your lights, and if you beep at me I take special joy with giving you the finger. Whatever I can do to stress you out more.

It's like this. If you behave like an asshole I behave like an asshole. If you act like a decent person I act like a decent person.

If I am driving in the left lane and I see you approaching me from behind I will probably get over and let you pass.
    If I don't notice you approaching and see you there a couple of car lengths back behaving yourself I will also let you pass.

But if you flick your flashers or beep your horn - game on.
    I do shit like match the speeds of cars in the right lane and stuff.

It's good that you admit that you are having an issue, it is great that you are seeking help.

My only advice is stop being a jerk.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:rofl:

I think it's hysterical that guys in big trucks think they are bullying anyone. This is a retarded notion and not based on any sort of reality. You seriously need to re-think this.

I'm not the least bit intimidated by big trucks because if they hit me, they have a whole different set of problems to deal with then. So they tail gate me trying to intimidate me....and guess what....nothing happens. I turn my mirrors and go on about my business and just laugh that they think they own the road.

Bigger is nothing more than bigger...that's all. You fuck up my shit by hitting me?? There's every likelihood that I'll sue.

I also view guys in big trucks as compensating for something. One of the tiniest guys in high school drove the biggest truck ever. You could almost walk under it. If he rearended someone, he'd damn near drive right over them and it was usually the axle that would hit their bumper....his bumper would likely hit the roof.

having said all that...I usually, but not always, just get over whenever I see faster traffic coming....it's just the polite thing to do.

11. guchiew

Sometimes, people will be tailgating me in the right lane, so the only way to pull over is off of the road or to the left. I rarely drive in the left lane because I know I'm not in as big of a rush as other people. I pull over when people tail me, but it seems that sometimes people will only tailgait me to get me to pull over, and then pace me.

I drive a Ford Crown Vic. My road rage has gotten worse since my old accord, but not so much because it was a smaller car, but that car was fugly and I didn't care if people scratched it or anything. I like my Crown Vic, so I'm more protective of it.

12. deusexaethera

Okay, if they're tailing you in the right lane, either they're desperate to get past because there's an asshole in the left lane who won't move, or they're just crazy. The best way to deal with that is to check and see if you're cruising next to some one, and if you are, try to move forward enough to let people sneak through. You don't have to haul ass to do that, though, just move a couple of car lengths ahead of the guy to the left of you.

On the other hand, if they're crazy, there's nothing you can do except ignore them.

13. triXx

triXx Im the crack being smoked by your dealer

i have an f150, i swear its the truck that causes it, ive had other cars and trucks but never really road rage, but as soon as i get in the truck and that stupid mother fucker in the civic starts tailgating me on the highway.....

14. deusexaethera

Funny how big cars and trucks are supposed to make you feel safer, but end up causing more problems in the long run.

15. Bleed

Bleed New Member

u know what, as bad as this suggestion is for safety it does help me. i have a bluetooth cell phone that ties into my cars system, so i can turn the cabin of my car into one giant speakerphone. i just start making calls in traffic so my attention isnt on the traffic, but talking with friends. before i know it, i'm home and just had a 30 min convo with my gf, friend, or whoever. :dunno:

i get bad roadrage too (oc and LA traffic), but being able to talk to someone and vent about how bad traffic is helps. sometimes i'll call my other friends who are commuting and just joke about who is in worse traffic. it helps.

but 99% of anger is frustration built up. so take that into consideration when looking for a solution :)

16. teo

teo . => ? => !

Two things: Leave yourself plenty of time to get to your destination, and listen to classical/orchestral music when you're driving. Seriously. I find that when I'm listening to the radio, any aggression that I already have pent up is magnified by most of the mainstream musical genres.

Back when I used to drive for about 6 hours a day as part of my job, I noticed that I'd get emotionally tuned in to whatever was on the radio. If it was a talk show and the talk got heated, I'd get heated. If it was angsty rock, I'd get angsty. My mood obviously affected my driving, so I decided to try out classical music after I realized I was always coming back to the office all stressed and road-raged out and in no mood to talk or work with my coworkers, which is a big problem when there are only 8 people in the whole company.

I haven't gone back since. I've found it's pretty hard to stay pissed off when the environment (ie. the music) isn't supporting your mood. Classical music is usually fairly soothing and when it's lively it's not in the "my wife just cheated on me and I'm gonna fuck someone up" kind of way.

Try it for a week and see what you think.