How do I connect a headphone amp to my computer's soundcard?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Noobler, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Noobler

Noobler Guest

I am interested in an amp for my hd650's and was wondering how I could then connect this to my computer's soundcard. (creative xfi gamer). considering the little dot mk3 for my hd650 headphones.

2. Romidgeo

Romidgeo New Member

3.5mm to 2RCA

3. Noobler

Noobler Guest

thank you sir. what about if it has one of those huge plugs? kind pf looks like a ps2 keyboard/mouse port except larger

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you mean XLR?

by the way, the xfi cards are very shitty. I'd recommend you upgrade your soundcard if you want good sound.

5. Noobler

Noobler Guest

what should I get then?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for basic audio you can get a m-audio revolution 5.1/7.1. You could also do a m-audio 2496, or emu 0404, or audiophile 192. Personally, I like the firewire solutions like my fw-410, or a mackie onyx. presonus makes a firwire interface for under $100. Although I think the Onyx is the best bang-for-buck right now.

7. Noobler

Noobler Guest

k im going to order the maudio 5.1 when they're in stock and still need to know what kind of headphone amp I should get and the corresponding cables.

8. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

It depends on what amplifier you choose. Both of the soundcards you list have 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo headphone outputs. Most headphone amps will have 1/8", 1/4" or RCA inputs. You need to decide on what amp you want and then buy the cable to match the output of the card to the input on the amp. These are very common cables and you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

Your headphones have a 1/4" stereo plug and should have come with a 1/8" adapter so you should be able to plug them into most headphone amps.

Amps run a pretty wide spectrum, from small portables to exotic tube designs. Price run from ~$100 to :eek3:. I run a Xenos 3HA which is apparently no longer being made. All I needed to connect it to my soundcard is a 1/8" to 1/8" cable. I remember paying ~$150 for the amp. It is not portable but works great on a stationary setup. Honestly, the options out there are endless, it just depends on what kind of setup you want.