GUN how do I clean my M1 Garand without damaging it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Oct 6, 2006.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

Like the title says. I bought a .30-06 rifle cleaning kit from walmart. its got a 3 piece brass rod i've screwed together. and it has a copper wire brush that screws onto the end. it says to saturate that brush with the included nitro solvent gun cleaner and push through the barrel several times. The copper bristles won't damage the inside of my barrel, right? I know not to hit the inside of the gun with the brass rod. it then says to take off the brush and put on the plastic tip and push one of the foam cleaning pads through that is soaked in the gun cleaner, and then push a dry pad through.

it then says to lubricate the moving parts with the included gun oil. but everything already has a thin coat of oil on it and operates fine, so I make skip that :dunno:

i'm just worried that the copper bristles on the brush will damage the inside of the barrel.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nothing should get damaged, if your shooting old corrosive ammo through it your going to want to clean up the internal moving parts which will leave them with little oil on them. If non corrosive your still going to want to clean them up just dont have to do it as frequently.

3. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

i dont think I have ever put cleaning solvent on a brush!

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dont use a rod and brush on most of my guns, I use the boresnake then ill run patches on the rod through.

5. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Copper is much softer than the steel that makes up your barrel, so it wont have any effect on it.

Make sure you get some grease pots so you can grese up a few areas on the gun, I forget which ones specifically.
    I also like to use the bore swab when Im done with mine too. Gets everything out.

6. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

or white lithium grease. close comparison to the grease pots. i put a little on the channel where the op rod travels and a little on the bolt. less is more here. too much and you'll just gather dirt and grime and foul everything up.

plus 1 for the boresnake. quick, easy, and does a great job. make sure to wash it every now and then.

if you're shooting corrosive ammo like Korean you want to run ammonia product like windex down the barrel after you shoout and that will clear that stuff away. the corrosive stuff will fuck up your barrel if you leave it sitting in there. make sure to lube after with something like hoppe's lube.

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

buy a real one piece rod like one of the carbon fiber tipton models; multi-piece rods are weak and suck.

8. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

9. striker754

striker754 Chillin

there is a reason the rod is made of brass. its because it is softer than the steel of the barrel and will not hurt your barrel. YOu dont need special cleaner to shoot corrosive. Just clean with water then clean normally then oil the parts.