SRS how do i break up with a long term, live-in girlfriend?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by qbob, Jun 5, 2007.

1. qbob

qbob New Member

no kids, no serious financial involvement together, but we did move several hundred miles away to go to college together, living in an apartment. our lease is up in about a month, I'm the renter, she's just listed as an occupant. We've lived together for almost 3 years, and im 21.

This relationship probably should have been over a while ago, i haven't been happy with her for some time. how do i get out without causing lots of pain?

anyone been through a similar situation?

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

You were smart enough to only have your name on the lease thats a good thing. Is she still happy with you? There really isnt any way to let her down easy you just have to do it and get it over with. Hide anything that you value or get it out of the apartment before you tell her.

3. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Do you guys fight a lot? I'm asking because I'm just wondering if she'll see this coming or if she'll be totally shocked. Either way you've gotta do it asap. You don't want to let her go on assuming you'll renew your lease and everything is great if it's not. Especially if she's the legal occupant because she may need to find a roommate, move, etc.

Just sit her down and be honest with her. Let her know that you've been thinking about things for a while and had hoped things would improve but they haven't. Make sure she knows that you gave it time (since you said you haven't been happy for a while) so she knows you aren't just bailing cause it's been a rough week or two. She's going to be hurt either way but the best you can do is be honest with her and tell her soon.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Why aren't things working? Are you just getting bored with her? Or are you in college and you're wantint to play the field? Or did some other girls show interest in you and it piqued your curiosity?

5. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

We need details.

6. hellyea2650

hellyea2650 New Member

7. Guerilla Grower

Guerilla Grower New Member

Since you have been together for so long there is bound to be pain, you just can't escape it. The best thing for both of you would for you to be up front and break up with her, I don't think there is going to be alot you can do. Wait until the lease has a week or 2 and tell her. Good luck, and don't back down.