How do I back up my PowerMac?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

This is a stupid question, but how do I back up PowerMac HD? I would like to have a safe backup incase anything were to happen to my computer. How do I go about backing it up? Do I need to buy another external HD for that or something? I'm stupid with it comes to things like this.

TIA

2. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

From the reviews that i have read in magazines and guides for doing this, the easiest way probably would be to buy an external hdd. The maxtor onetouch's look really nice, they come with nice backup software and like advertised, apparently you just hit one button and it automatically backs everything up. An external hdd would also be nice if you're into video editing and such.

3. HardTech

HardTech hungry

4. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I do two things

1.) have a lacie big disk (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10491) that you use to do periodic backups. If you keep everything organized in your home folder this should be a simple drag and drop operation. Just drag your entire home folder to the Lacie on your desktop and let it transfer the files. It will transfer everything including your iTunes music library.

2.) For really important files (work, PSDs, etc) get a server somewhere (Dreamhost is simple and cheap use the promotional code 777 to get hosting for $9.99/year) and FTP your important files to an online server; this way if something happens to your house (theft, fire, natural disaster, etc.) your most important files will be stored somewhere offsite.

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

if you have another hard drive, get carbon copy and it will take an exact copy of your hd to another

6. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

I have a 250G external WD hard drive with "DualOption Backup." It comes with Retrospect, which I have used quite a bit in the corporate environment (the Enterpirse versions, this is the personal version) and I like it a lot. I just have it backup every night differentially and it doesn't take long at all. I would highly recommend getting an external drive and using a "real" backup program, not just one that tries to your files over. I also think the idea of putting your files on an external server (I have my own FTP server that I used, but if you're a student, you might use your school's, etc.) if they are of the utmost importance. I would also suggest that you secure those files that you do not have express control over if they contain sensitive information (i.e. encrypt them using PGP or whatever you want), especially if the server is colocated or it is someone else's. Term papers probably don't matter, but SS numbers and credit card info does. My 2 cents...