SRS How do I approach/confront my friend who has his life consumed by a pyramid scheme?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nicklol, Feb 22, 2006.

1. nicklol

nicklol Nu OT Supporter

:wtc: I don't want to see my friend ruin his life because of making a dumbass decision.

We're both freshmen in college right now, he goes to ISU studying nursing and I'm in Chicago. We've known each other since freshman year of high school but we became really good friends senior year when we hanged out more during the school year and the summer before college started. We were pretty close but not so much anymore because all he talks about his online business and how much money he is going to make with minimal amount of effort. If you're wondering what this scam is... it's Quixtar, an internet version of Amway I guess. I can't figure out how it works and how you're suppose to make lots of $$$ but he is addicted to it. I asked this friend to pick me up at the train station when I decided to come home for the weekend and he happened to be home too but he then decided to tell me about Quixtar and how awesome it is and how much money he is going to make and I should sign up so he could get referral money, I was like fuck that noise. Last time my buddy called me was over winter break in the middle of December and asked me if I wanted to Wendy's or some fast food place nearby us for lunch. I was pretty excited but then as I jumped in my car ready to go meet him, he called me saying how he was going to Carol Stream, some town far from us to go to an important Quixtar meeting. It made me almost :wtc: when the purpose of meeting up for lunch was so he could recruit me but he bailed out. I thought we could catch up on things but that's not what he cares about. His life seems consumed by Quixtar and he won't talk about anything else bsides the stupid business and money.

I asked our circle of friends to help to intervene but he ignores everyone and calls them haters and says it gives him more motivation to succeed. I messaged his older brother too on what to do but he says all he can do is pray he'll realize he's wasting his time and remind him to focus on his school work. But my friend told he is serious about moving back home after freshman year, enroll in the local community college and then stop going to school so he could focus on his "business". I am lost on what to do.

if you don't know what quixtar is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quixtar
    it's evil

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yes I have experienced the same thing. The only thing I could recommend is to just keep your distance until he fizzles out. Tell him you think Quixtar is totally whack, and he's going to throw away all his time and money, and you want no part of it, and you feel like he's a different person now.

I told a couple of my friends the same thing, and eventually they fizzled out and became my friends again.

3. nicklol

nicklol Nu OT Supporter

i guess that's what i'm doing right now

sucks really bad, he alienated most of his friends by trying to get more recruits

just hope he doesn't mess up his life and realize that material possesions is not happiness