TAT how do I answer this question?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by 7960, Oct 17, 2005.

1. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm pretty straight-laced...no tats, no piercings...nada.

In a store with my 6yo and there's a guy in line behind us with a significant-sized tattoo on his neck and about 10-12 piercings in his nose, lip, ears, etc.... my son said "dad, why does he have all that stuff in his face?"

I said "I guess because he wants it." I don't think I said it with any attitude or anything. The guy hadn't said anything, but he sort of got pissed and got out of line and left.

My kid is 6...that's what they do is ask questions so he wasn't wrong. Was my answer wrong or was the guy a jackass?

2. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

maybe the "I guess" can easily sound sarcastic.

3. KungFool7

Also, if the dude is going to hang shit off his face and expect everyone to understand it, he's stupid.

If someone sees my tattoos and asks me about why i would do something like that, i'll answer them as best i can.

If they are not polite about it, i have a 30 seconds speech that i'll unleash on them that tends to embarass them. i've used it twice before.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

I honestly didn't want to sound judgmental in front of my 6yo. I'd never get a tat or piercing, but if you want to that's fine with me. My kid asked, I answered as matter of fact as I could. I don't think I was being sarcastic.......maybe he thought I was.

But really my question is this... my kid is going to see tattoos and piercings and is probably going to ask again... is there a better answer? (remember he's 6yo)

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

There really isnt a better answer for a 6yo. Its guys like him that give tattooed/pierced people the bad stereotypes.

6. xela

xela So say we all!

I don't think that answer was bad at all. I mean, what else can you say to 6 year old?

7. bigmick

bigmick The plane takes off OT Supporter

The guy was a douche if he got pussy hurt enough to leave the line over that.
    You should have said as he left "I guess he is an emo fag who got piercings to rebel against mummy and daddy"

8. Proteus

Proteus OT Supporter

Maybe you're assuming to much here? Maybe he was just annoyed at having to stand in line? Or maybe he was running late and realized he had to ditch what he was buying to get there on time?

Won't really know why he was upset without him telling you why.

That being said, i think the way you answered it was probably the best, or at least the easiest for a 6yo.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

Maybe, and that's why I was more focusing on how to answer the question for a 6yo rather than if he was a "douche emo fag" :rofl:

Thanks for the answers.

10. silsurf28

silsurf28 New Member

The "I guess" part isn't sarcarstic at all, OP doesn't know how to read minds, and don't people get peircings and tattoos for a varity of different reasons?

11. 323familia

323familia New Member

i got my piercings as a cry for attention ;p

12. 7960

7960 New Member

I'd file that under "because you wanted them"... that's a better answer than:

"dad, why does he have all that stuff on his face?"
    " well son, it looks like a desperate cry for help to me"

:rofl:

13. 323familia

323familia New Member

:rofl: :boink: indeed. i just decided that they would look good. no particular reason

14. Proteus

Proteus OT Supporter

:rofl:
    Then you'd be posting for the answer to
    "Dad why'd that guy punch you in the face"

15. 7960

7960 New Member

:hsugh:
    Just another reason why I didn't answer that way.

Seriously, people can do whatever they want to themselves. Just because I don't have any of it doesn't mean I care if you do... I'd just like to have a decent answer for my kid that doesn't also offend the person.

My wife and I talked about this last night at dinner and she said "why didn't you let eric (son) ask the guy?" I thought about it and I'm not sure why... I think the only reason I wouldn't let him ask is because I don't want someone giving some smartass answer, or getting offended somehow and taking it out on my son.

16. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

I agree that the guy was a douche to leave if he got hurt feelings by a six year old's comments. But to tell a kid that anyone is an emofag who got piercings to rebel against mommy and daddy is just worsening the stereotype against body mods in general.

Way to go, asshat.

17. 7960

7960 New Member

I would, and have over other things, but I'd rather avoid the situation if possible. This is the perfect example...just looking at the guy I wouldn't have guessed he'd get offended. If I knew the person I'd have no problem letting my son ask, but a stranger in a store............. hmm... not so sure.

18. joy division

joy division New Member

the guy was a complete douchebag.

19. machine81

machine81 New Member

I want to know what your 30 tirade is. :naughty:

It sounds interesting

20. KungFool7

It involves alot of "Ignorance" and "hypocrisy".

The people that usually try to start shit about my tattoos are religious or conservative, and go for the "why would you do that to your body?" and "If god meant for you to have tattoos, you would have been born with them"

And then i tend to take the "You have an ear piercing...it's just different extremes" and "You're wearing clothes, were you born in them?"

It's just so automatic now. But i like nothing more than explaining the reasons for getting them and the meaning behind them to someone who is honestly curious and not trying to find a sly way to insult me.

21. bigmick

bigmick The plane takes off OT Supporter

Overreact much?

22. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

No, not at all :)

23. BaneBoi

BaneBoi ƒł٤şħ Ąđđίçŧ

"Same reason you like wearing <insert favorite color here> shirts."

People ask me why I have piercings, I ask them why they wear whatever jewlery they are wearing. People ask me why I'm wearing a skirt, I ask them why they are wearing jeans. My tone depends on theirs, I'm not a dick if they arent.

Really tho, I just like the attention. ;)

24. beautiful disaster

beautiful disaster OT Supporter

your answer was justifyable. that's pretty straight out for a 6 year old. as for the guy that left the line, you really don't know if that was the reason. what you said isn't a reason to get upset over. if that was the reason, then the guy is retarded. don't let it bother you

25. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

LOL i think it was a pretty straight forward answer. I mean if the guy got upset and walked out of line for that answer, i would venture to say he didn't have an answer for your 6yo worth a damn. i mean i have meanings to all my tatts, well except one, and i'm working on getting it covered up or redone. If anyone ever asks me about any of my tatts i feel it kinda my duty to educate and inform people. That way we are not stereotyped anymore.