how do i " air out " the a/c vents?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by mtkversion, Jun 23, 2006.

1. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

want to clean out the musty smelling odor in the a/c vents and hopefully clean out any dust trapped in the system.

is there anything i can safely spray into the vents to neutralize the odors and clean out the system?

2. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

Lysol on the a/c intake and use the system at full heat and full speed for about 20 minutes...that should dry out the mold and blow it away

3. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

thanks mang.

4. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Where is the intake usually? Kind of having a similar problem with my Jetta.

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

98% of cars usually have it located somewhere in the valence where the hood meets the windsheild. You know, tht piece of plastic where the windsheild wipers are usually also located?

Anyway, you will usually see a "screened off" area that is open, this is usually your cars air intake area. If your not sure, crank the fan on all the way, and have a listen to it. Usually you can hear the fan whistling throught he plenum as soon as you get out of the car.

I cant comment on the lysol method. But i can say that the best way to prevent that A/C musty smell, is before you get out of your car, turn off the A/C and let normal unconditioned air blow through the vents for a coupe of minutes with the windows slightly cracked. THis will blow the vents clear, and help prevent that "A/C smell" that is so annoying. I run my A/C most of the year as we have relatively high humidity, and rain here in the North West, which keeps the windows preaty foggy. I use the "blow out" method on my car almost everytime i drive it, and have yet to smell that odor in it.

6. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

depending on the car... a lot of the nasty mildew smell comes from debris (leaves and pine needles etc) building up in the inlet area.

7. red89gt

red89gt OT Supporter

thats a good tip Buck-O, I think im going to start giving this method a try myself.