SRS How do doctors know if you have depression?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soju N Coke, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Soju N Coke

Soju N Coke New Member

Dont they jsut ask you a series of questions? its not like they test your blood if you have it right? so whats the point of actually seeing a doctor if you can ask the same questions? If they do jsut ask questions can anyone link to to a site where i can test myself? I think i might have some mild depression and its taking a toll on my life by becoming really unmotivated in anything i do.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I have no idea about the question thing, but depression is related to unhealthy lifestyles, which is usually the fault of the depressive person him/herself, I've noticed that a lot depressive people are waiting in their beds for the doorbel to ring and happynes to be delivered by the postman at their homes.

In real life ,(forgot to mention that ' life is supposed to be hard' you have to work hard for your own happyness. You can't take away a 10k debt, by taking pills or drinking alcohol. They only suppress the symptoms, they do not cure them. What you need is a cure, Which i will tell you all about, when i was superdepressive, and after making a failed suicide attempt, i just asked flat out to a friend of mine who was all happyness and sunshine all the time. HOW DO YOU DO THAT? , I was amazed by his answer, well he said: If i find a thing to do, that i like to do, i repeat it. Then if i find another thing that i really like to do, i repeat it. And if you fill your week with happy things to do, and repeat them at certain days, you will become a happy person.

It's just that, medication,booze or drugs cant find the things in life that can make your life worthwhile, It's only you who can give it a positive swing. If it's really bad you might talk to the shrink or a recommended docter, but if it's not to late i would try to change your approuch on life, like i did.

3. Gandin

Gandin New Member

Life isn't easy, but it doesn't have to be impossible. People make it that way. If YOU TRY to make the best of everything, then the best is made of everything. If YOU TRY to be happy, (do things like the above poster mentioned, join groups, meet people, get out of the house, stop worrying start working ect.) than you WILL be happy. It's such a simplistic concept, but it's not simple to do. You must really want it to get it.

Weezer - If you want it, you can have it, you just gotta learn to reach up there and grab it.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, you'd be a great psychologist, yours patients would commit suicide, problem solved.
    Depression is not always related to an unhealthy lifestyle, it might be a neurochemical problem, mostly related to serotonin, which is linked with sleeping, eating and mood control. When someone's serotonin level is messed up, he has eating problems, most people eat less, sleeping problems and motivational problems. These are all symptoms of depression.
    Some people become depressed because of their lifestyle, but you can't always blame someone for it, the best thing to do is to help that person, not blame him/her...

Pills are necessary in some severe cases of depression ; this is why some cases are treated by psychiatrists and not psychologists.

And this is how the doctor finds out if someone is depressed : by asking questions regarding some of the most regular symptoms (eating disorder, sleeping disorder, lack of motivation, weight gain or loss)

Untreated depression highers your chance of being depressed again, so it's up to you.

5. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

It's not so much questions, as it is them asking you to explain to them what you're feeling like. A really close friend of mine just got put on Prozac, because he was having days where he would feel like he wanted to die, and had no way of knowing (a) what was causing them and (b) how to stop them from happening. He went to a doctor, explained EXACTLY what he was going through, and they gave him a perscription.

According to him it took about a month for the pills to take effect, but he's been feeling great ever since, and says he hasn't any more of those feelings since they actually kicked in.

Hope I helped.

6. Darketernal

I strongly disagree, the best help you can give to a depressive person , is to tell them that they need to help themselves, i mean c'mon everyone nowadays first takes a pill to get cured, first pills to sleep, and pills to wake up. The mind is always tuned towards it enviroment, if the person in question therefore is depressed, then his/her interaction with the outside world is not in tune with how reality works. I really like to state here that the medication in these caseas are only symptom suppressors, it doesn't cure your problem, only real solutions where you stick out your hands and with manually labour fix the problem that is depressing you will make it go away. Depression is ALWAYS enviromental, thus if the enviroment is the cause of the unhappy situation , then the person in question is responsible because everyone needs to fix their own problems in life, therefore the person who is depressive is ALWAYS to be blamed for not taking actions to create a better enviromental situation for themselves. In a pure example , where someone is depressive and locked up in a room where they want to get out, what helps more , whining over the situation that you want to get out of the misery, or a key that actually fits in the doorlock to get you out? You would be a great docter, until you ran out of medication.

7. Nezu

Nezu Guest

I have depression, and have for a really long time. I have a naturally occurring imbalance that has more to do with my biological make-up than my lifestyle. You can tell me that I need to help myself and it won't do any good. I don't take medication anymore, however. I felt medication was more covering up my feelings rather than helping me deal with them. Depression is NOT always environmental. I had a great childhood environment, at least until I got really ill, and I was a depressed child before that without any good cause. You could probably "blame" me for being depressed, but depression has been part of who I am practically since I was born. A lot of that probably has to do with the fact that my mother was severely depressed when she was pregnant with me.

Yeah, some people can use medication to get better. Some people need therapy. I chose a different route entirely and try to take each day as it comes. I have days where I'm suicidal, but I convince myself out of doing anything bad to myself... and my daughter (who is now 4) is a great inspiration for me to try and have a healthier attitude. It doesn't always work, but having a reason to live is always helpful.

8. Voodoostarr

Voodoostarr Guest

Depression can be a neurochem problem. That has been a proven fact for quite a few years. Please read this and many other sites out there talking about depression http://www.depression.com/ Environmental depression is a result of a family death, severe changes in lifestyle or something tragic. As far as I know this is only temporary.

Medication can relieve the symptoms to help you lead a more productive life and you feel better (more positive attitude or whatever). Relief of the symptoms then leads to fixing your life and it's environmental factors. Pills do not actually cure depression (IMO)

I took Lexapro for about a year and a half and am now weening off it. I still feel good but also have adjusted my thought processes and the way I do things because I realized negativity kills the heart and soul. Bordom leads to depression and lack of ambition leads to negativity. At least for me

9. Darketernal

I really doubt that your docter diagnosed you with NDD 'Natural Depression Disorder' , that would mean they made a brainscan of you and found an area in the brain that caused the dilemma, because your mother was depressed during her pregnancy doesn't mean you can get it, because a baby cannot inherit a permanent emotional status from as which was like that of the mother during her pregnancy. So :bsflag: all the way, because life is what you make it. No one would believe it if you said, i did happy things that i really liked, and during those events i still was depressive. Even if a thing as natural depression did exist, it would need to be kickstarted from the enviroment as a brain is a organ that reacts on depressive stimuli from outside of the body , not from the inside.

10. Nezu

Nezu Guest

Actually, a mother's mood during pregnancy has many effects on the child. Almost anyone who has children could tell you that.

I never once said I was diagnosed with NDD, either. There is no clear reason for my depression, and I've only been given "probably" this and "possibly" that as to why. So tell me, how would you deal with a 2-year-old who just didn't know how to be happy? If you were a doctor, how would you explain it to the parents? Could it have been something other than depression initially? Sure, could've been hypersensitivity. Could've been a lot of things. Doesn't matter what the cause was in the long run.

Can I have fun? Sure. Am I sad during those events? No. Do I stay happy when I'm done having fun? No. Not at all. I default to something similar to sadness, only more apathetic. It's a battle to stay happy, and it can be a rather tiring one at that.

By the way, I'd like to point out that depression is not just a mood. It's an illness that feeds on negativity. It has been proven to be more than just "regular sadness", which makes things rather awkward when someone says "last night made me depressed" as depression can not be caused in such a short amount of time.

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I agree that some people can resolve their problem without any medication, that is the whole point of seeing a psychologist/therapist.
    No, it's not ALWAYS environmental, nor is it ALWAYS neurochemical.
    Pills are sometimes necessary in some severe cases, as I said.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/81/96941.htm

Depression is not only environnmental, but the environment might act as a trigger. If it'd be ONLY and ALWAYS due to the environment, there would be no reason that family history would be influencing someone's chances of being depressed, but :
    http://www.depression.com/causes_of_depression.html
    And from the same page :
    I agree though, medication is the the first resort, but it might be necessary to some people.
    For the first poster : I said it, untreated depression highers our chances of being depressed again...

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Genetics can influence, depression is not only about "mood" and "inner control", it's also a physical problem. Some people have higher chances of having depression because our body is a result of our DNA, thus, what our parents gave us.

13. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

by your logic... i shoulda killed myself a long time ago.

let me give you some info here... i'm in college, speak a foreign language, traveled to ~15 countries, considered to be an expert on Japan.. so much so that during finals my phone rings with people who I never met asking me questions, one who is always accountable and doesn't blame anyone for their problems, good circle of friends, good financial shape...

and I have bipolar disorder, or manic depression. Thus I should have no problems by your logic, but the truth is that there's stuff wrong in my head (literally) that makes me feel sad when I should be happy, and makes me feel happy when I should feel sad.

I do believe that for many people, it's situational and they look for pills for a quick fix, but there's a few of us who have geniune problems that we can't sort out, and sometimes a "happy drug" is necessary to balance everything out. I have no real control of my emotions, which dictate how I feel, act, behave, eat and appear to others. Sorry, that's something I need to deal with.

Sorry bro, but you're wrong.:wavey:

14. Soju N Coke

Soju N Coke New Member

Wow i learned alot from reading all your posts. All of you have good points in this discussion. To the person that said depression is not neurochemical and can be helped if you just change it yourself is true in a way. Yes I do go out and do the things I like to and during that time im not in a depressional mood. But that is just a temporary solution for me, i think depression is in my nature. When I look at my problems I get very worried and depressed compared to other people. I know people that have worser problems then me, Including one of my closest friends, but they seem not to worry about it at all and go through days like their life is trouble free. If I was in his shoes i think i would be suicidal. So that makes me think that how can he not be depressed but I can? So it kindve makes me think that there is a neurochemical problem about me. Something in the way that I get too worrisome when problems are faced and I look at all the negatives and make it bigger then it should be. quoting this guy

Since i blow up all the negativity in my life I get very depressed. I get bored very easily so that makes me drink all the time to get a temporary relief. I cant really go to school for financial problems right now so that just makes me feel more depressed about my whole life and the way its going. No Producitvity!

I forgot to relize that maybe my sleeping problem has something to do with my depression (If I have one?). My sleeping pattern is so screwed up that sometimes i would go to sleep 8-10 in the morning. Since I work as a waiter at a restaurant my work times are really spread out. Usually I work at night so my average sleeping time would be pretty late. And when I do go to bed i would have the hardest time falling asleep. I would just lay there having so much things in my mind that it is impossible to fall asleep. Sometimes I would lay in bed for hours on hours thinking of the most random things and worrying about alot of small things in my life that shouldnt even bother me.

I also have a eating problem. I never eat regularly. I did lose weight from a year ago. Im 6' and 140lbs now. I dont really have an appetite anymore and I caught up on smoking alot more.

O and someone brought the idea about how the mental state of my moms mind during my pregnancy would have an effect.

I dont think its true but when my mom was pregnant with me she was in the most depressed state of mind in her life. Her and my dad barely moved to america with no money at all. They barely rented a small 1 bed apartment and they didnt have money to even buy furniture so they would pick furniture up from the streets that was left behind. I dont want to go into more details of what happened but after I was born my mom tried to commit suicide by taking some pills. which failed after my dad carried her to the ER. Although even when i talk about this right now i dont feel depressed about it since it was long ago and I never heard about this story til early this year. So I dont think its really some part of a cause to this depression.

Sorry for my grammatical errors

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  15. Soju N Coke

Soju N Coke New Member

The thing is that the reason why im depressed is mostly because I dont like how the way my life is going right now. I had to quit school because my mom jsut came out of a divorce and she cant support me a bit to go to school. So i have to work full time to pay for rent and other things. And the things I like to do is either not helping me be productive or I just cant afford to do the things I like to do. Although I appreciate your post but that method is just a day to day thing. So I dont know how it would help with my depression if I do things that I like to do because at the end of the day when I do that, my life is still heading towards the same way (That is what im depressed about, the long run). Of course Im not depressed when i do the things I like to do but thats just another temporary relief. I just need help from being so negative and being depressed on how my life is the way it is right now because I know its not that bad, but i just amke it seem that way. I want to change that but nothing is working.

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Soju : your mother's depression is know as post-partum depression.
    Here are some infos on it :
    http://www.canadianparents.com/storkheadquarters/postpartum_blues.htm

As for your case, I don't think you suffer from depression. I think you might have some problems with irrational thinking, because if you'd be depressed, you wouldn't be happy doing things you like, in fact, you wouldn't even like stuff anymore. I'm no psychiatrist/psychologist, but this is what I think.

So in your case, the best thing to do would be to see a psychologist ; a psychiatrist would give you pills and maybe talk a little with you, but a psychologist will help you to gain more confidence and learn how to view things realistically.

17. Soju N Coke

Soju N Coke New Member

The key point here is that i have no motivation at all. The only motivation I have is to go out and drink with my friends. I have no motivation to fix my car, I have no motivation to wake up early, basically I have no motivation to do the things necessary in my life. Sometimes I tell myself to "get the fuck up my ass and start doing things" I do it for a few hours, and get lazy again, motivation gets lost. So I dont think just telling my ass to do these things really help. I really believe I need help then to just help myself.

18. Soju N Coke

Soju N Coke New Member

Well I do hate some of the things I like, Which is Drinking. I do that for temporary relief.

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, if you've list interest in what you enjoyed not long ago, it might be depression.
    I'm not sure to understand your last post though !!
    One way or another, the psychologist is the way to go. If you need medication, he'll let you know and will suggest you to see a doctor or a psychiatrist.

20. cloversix9

cloversix9 New Member

stfu~! you need to stop playing video games & posting nonsense on these forums 247 and get off your ass! stop drinking/smoking and with the extra disposable income... pick up a hobby and a ride-to-die-chick~

21. Doctors do not merely ask questions. You're paying for their expertise: You're paying for their clinical experience as well as their knowledge of the subtle as well as obvious cues/patterns of identifying a diagnosis.

Body language is observed, tone of voice, content, and context of verbal discussion -- past medical history, family history, situational events currently going on, how you're sleeping, eating, how your relationships are, and your perspective and attitude about what you're saying, and doing. Some doctors do not even have to ask more than 1 to 3 questions and can immediately spot whether someone needs further assessment, or treatment based on factors exceeding those you're even aware of.

Most good doctors with good bedside manner will explain to you what they think and why they feel that way. You must be a proactive participant in helping him diagnose depression, though - many people who are mentally ill have probably the hardest time doing such since they are in-fact, mentally impaired to some degree.

If the core of my cars engine began to experience symptoms, and the engine light went on - I wouldn't get out a philips head screw driver and go to work on my own car - and neither would someone who is "very" experienced with cars. You need tools made for the job, and a philips head ain't gonna cut it bobby boy. Doctors have those tools in the form of "education, experience." Don't use a screwdriver to try to fix your own head.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2005
  22. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

i was given a standard questionnare... and then when he came back after reviewing my answers, we talked a little, and then he gave me my prozac Rx and went on my merry way...

23. Did you see a psychiatrist or another type of M.D.? Most regular M.D. doctors - including family doctors, or G.I. doctors or anything of that sort will often give a question survey. I was given one by a doctor once too.

24. PuppyCat

PuppyCat O.T. Mom

I can so realte to this...saw a shrink this week...I sad "Hey, I'm sad and depressed." He says "oh." Maybe you should be on medication...here take this...and he shoved a prescription in front of me. I says "Sorry, I don't want to take a lot of bug juice." He says "Then I can't help you then." I left the office.
    Moral of the story is: I am now a member of the walking wounded, but firmly believe that once I have time to evaluate myself and get it together, I'll be fine. When that is, I do not know, but I do know it will come, and it is that statement which holds me together.

I firmly believe that we are as happy as we make up our minds to be...sometimes it is difficult and just does not happen...but, we should try and hope, for what else is there in life but hope?

(I must be PMS...I am sounding corny...):)