A&P How do/did you start getting paid for your pictures?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Hyperite, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

Like, what are the steps from just being a guy who takes good pictures to one who gets paid and books gigs :dunno: From any aspect: pictures in magazines, modeling shoots, real estate, weddings, or the Jcolman special of "everything" :bowdown:

Oh, and like getting passes to concerts or sporting events :dunno:

Not that I really intend on doing this as more than a hobby, but maybe...MAYBE. Just curious.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. mojito

mojito New Member

contacts
    referals
    TFCD/TFP

you gotta be outgoing and sell yourself, carry promo materials, have a website

deliver your product fast and better/more than expected

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I take a lot of pictures and my friends know that. Recently a friend of mine needed someone to shoot her sororities event and she asked me to do it. I did it for them and had all my pics up that night so they could look at them the next morning. She said she'd be calling in the future and recommend me to other people.

Not that I really do it for money either, but being in college and making a hundred bucks for a night of doing something I like is pretty cool :coold:

4. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

my wife does wedding stationary... she promotes me and also word of mouth from family and friends. Trying to get enough of a portfolio to start a decent flash site.

5. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Shot, did my own thing, local paper gen manager called me. 3 weeks later I work for them.

6. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

But how did they find you?

7. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

Word of mouth, and trade offs.

Did some free shoots for some friends, they spread word to their friends/family and I get paid work from that

For every 1 free shoot I do, I usually get 3-4 paid shoots :coold:

but I do them very rarely anymore, only free ones are my g/f and my family lol

8. redna

redna New Member

You guys are all missing the question...

Doing TFCD and TFP is not being paid...

You get paid by....

wait for it....

wait for it...

Charging people to take pictures.

Sounds obvious but the fact is that most photographers get stuck in the TFCD/TFP rut because they never feel like they're good enough to charge and/or they're trying to get their skills to the next level. NEWS FLASH - shooting paid work does the same thing, it gives you practice and builds your portfolio.

The bottom line is that the photographers out there making any money at all in the industry (and by "any" i don't mean small amounts, i mean their livings) know how to SELL themselves. It's a business.... save the art for your own time.

Do what makes the client happy. (almost always the opposite of what your artistic side wants)
    Do what makes the clients talk in a positive light about you.
    Do more gigs.

Am I the most talented photographer around? Hell no.... not even close.

Do I make more money in photography than 90% of this board? My guess is yes.

Why? because I know how to run a business.

9. redna

redna New Member

keep in mind that I'm not completely against free shoots for friends and family, and i do realize that you can get paid gigs off of referrals from them... But I guarantee that you could get a paid gig much quicker by jumping on the phone and making some cold calls... or stopping into some businesses.

Show a little confidence in yourself/ your work and the prospect wont know the difference. Charge a little less than the competition if your work isn't up to par... you'll still be getting paid.

10. mylegacy412

mylegacy412 OT Supporter

shoot something thats worth buying to someone