how do computer shops deal with windows serials?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Jun 9, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i was wondering what computer shops do when they reinstall someone's winxp. i know for xp home, that you usually have to call up microsoft to activate it.
    i could see them asking the owner for the serial number, but i've found that only certain distributions of winxp like certain serial numbers. you could be stuck on the serial screen if you don't have the correct serial for the cd distribution.

i've only dealt with a volume license key, from college. it made installations very easy, because we never had to activate windows.

is it possible that they use a vlk serial + it's corresponding install cd. then once they install windows, they use a serial changer like magical jelly bean to switch it to the owners serial?

don't lock this thread please, it's a serious question. i do not want to get around using a serial or using a stolen serial. my version of windows is legit anyways.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Computer vendors are supposed to put the OEM CD key sticker on the computer itself. So unless someone bought a computer with a pirated Windows, they'll have a key right there. In the case of Dells, I reload them all the time using my OEM XP SP2 CD with the key from Dell. It installs just fine but requires a telephone activation. This works for XP Pro and Home. I did discover that the XP Pro I got from Technet won't work with an OEM key. So I just use my OEM CDs for reloading people's Windows.

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Yeah the computers I've worked on had the sticker on the side. I check before I do that, if they don't have the key/CD I tell them it can't be done.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can also get a builder's CD that basically installs XP but forces the user to activate the product when they first start up

5. RiSk

RiSk New Member

I have a box shipped to me from MS that has about 10k COA's in it, I install/ghost/w.e and then stick a coa on it and we are done.