MIL How difficult is it to...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jcgodfrey, May 11, 2006.

1. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Become a pilot of a jet or helicopter in the military? I am going to talk to a recruiter about this, but I figured they'll sell me on it being easier than it really is...

I know it will be VERY tough, but what are some things that are involved?

Me - I'm 24, have a college degree (in marketing), I'm wanting something to challenge me...and I'm sick of the business, sit around all day, dress nicely dreary ass stupid jobs that are nothing like me. I'm looking for something new, and piloting is something I've wanted to do since I was a little dude.

Any advice would be appreciated...

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

id say dont settle for anything less
    being a pilot (especially fighter)...would be the coolest job in the world imo

ive heard the physical requirements are pretty damn high

3. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

well it all depends on what branch u want to go to. army <3 helo pilots so u can either be a warrant officer and fly ur whole career. or since u have a degree u can go to OCS and become a full officer fly for a while then take on other officer duties as u increase in rank. theres also air force helo pilots but those are kinda rare. u can also be a marine officer and fly their helos then theres navy. all routes require some sort of OCS(officer candidate school) which is like a bootcamp for officer candidates and then after u commission u go to flight skool. but its not easy but its not hard either...

4. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

you will have little chance of flying a plane, most likely if you follow through with this you can fly a rotor.

most likely you will do it through the army or the marine corps since the air force has enough people and navy is hardcore.

1. go through OCS (army is tough, marine corps is insane physically and emotionally)

2. go through training

3. not fuck up in the duration of any of this

4. not die

5. fly.

5. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

apparently steps 2 3 and 4 are very long and hard not to fuck up in if you have any kind of life whatsoever...

and navy is hardcore? :dunno:

6. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Go to WOCS, OCS.. There are very limited Aviation Branching done via OCS. Most of those go to USMA guys. The best way is to go to WOCS and if you want to be an officer later then apply for OCS.

7. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

navy is pretty hardcore about their flying, but overall they're more laid back than the air force, especially in training. in navy training you aren't forced to study or do a lot of the things you find yourself doing in air force training, but at the same time if you fuck up you're screwed. the air force has mandatory 12 hour days, mandatory study time, etc, but is more of a "spoon-feed" approach to training. not to say any of it is easy, but the air force just sort of forces you put the time in whereas the navy leaves it up to you, so if you can discipline yourself well that might be the way to go.

training is not "fun" by definition but it's a truly memorable experience - personally i went through navigator training (joint navy/marine/air force program, hosted by the navy) and although it was stressful, tough, and challenging, i made some fantastic friends and had the time of my life.

and if you think you won't have a life....well, that's up to you. i know air force pilots, especially the ones i fly with now, had less free time than i did in training, but they still partied enough to enjoy themselves. my friends and i usually went out at least every friday, usually friday and saturday night, and partied pretty hard. you just need to learn to prioritize and discipline yourself and you'll be fine. if you try to go through the program without giving yourself some time off, you'll burn out. you just need to balance your play time with your study time.

8. burton564

burton564 New Member

btw its WOFT not WOCS

9. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

im not saying that you wont have the TIME to party...you will have plenty enough...what i meant was that in doing so you put yourself in much more of a situation to fuck up and get the boot:noes:

10. SweetDaddyO

just depends on how high-speed you are. i had friends who picked it up really fast, partied all the time, even on weeknights, and still got their wings. i had other friends who studied all weekend, every weekend, and got washed out. i was more a middle of the road guy - i had one rule - no studying EVER on a friday night.

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

yea theres still ways to get the boot without going out, but theres more trouble involved when you are going out...im not saying its bad or anything because i wouldnt be able to handle it if i had the chance to go out, id be out

12. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

As far as physical requirements, if you are talking running times, pushups, situps etc. I know I can pass that stuff. I'm pretty strong mentally and physically...although yes, I do realize it is difficult and I'm not discounting it by any means!

To be honest, I'm ready to work hard...I've always been a hard worker and I think that this office job I DID have was just killing me...it sucked...

Kidhero - Why do you say I have little chance of flying a plane ever? Are the requirements just that high or what?

Also, I do have a kidney ailment in the past that I had surgery on. I wonder if that'd keep me out?

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate it. Now I need to figure out what all these acronyms you used mean!

Joel

13. kidhero

fixed wing pilots usually come from the air force academy

what was the ailment? most likely not as long as you don't need a dialysis machine

wocs = warrant officer school

ocs = officer school

an officer is a person that is commissioned to be an officer in the military

a warrant officer is a person essentially an officer but still an enlisted person

14. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

kidhero - Thanks again for the responses...

The ailment is a narrowing of my ureter, the 'tube' between my kidney and bladder. It doesn't give me any trouble.

No, I do not need a dialysis machine. This surgery I had for the problem was back when I was 5-6 years old.

Time to go talk to a recruiter...and start preparing myself physically and mentally if I am going to do this...I hate not going all out if I'm going to do something...so if I do this, I want to be the tops in my classes etc.

One thing I find stupid - All of my friends will tell me I'm crazy. They think civilian business life is the way to go. I'm gonna tell them to pound sand...

I hate suit and tie work, I hate office work, I love being outdoors, I love working with my hands, I absolutely LOVE to fly, I like guns, I like physical work, and the more and more I look at my situation the more and more I realize if I do stay in private industry I feel I am making a mistake...I know I could make more money but then again I might also turn into that fat bastard tie wearing fruitcake I despise!

That is all. Thanks for all of your help :)

15. SweetDaddyO

sounds like you have the right mental attitude for it - flying in the military is more than a job or a career - it's a lifestyle. the people you meet, especially those you fly with, become your family and you forge bonds that you would otherwise not find outside of other combat-related communities.

i don't know where kidhero gets his info, but don't think it's impossible to become a pilot. a slight majority of USAF and USN flying slots go to academy grads, but ROTC and OTS/OCS officers have their shot as well. in my class right now (of B-1 crewmembers, that's 6 pilots and 6 navigators), there are 5 academy graduates and 7 ROTC/OTS grads. so don't let the odds fool you.

16. burton564

burton564 New Member

i would have to agree with kidhero, rotc has some pilot slots, but ocs/ots gets the last take i'm sure. i don't fly with any ocs guys and not many usma guys either. lots of rotc though, but way more warrants. if you want to fly without rotc or an academy, your best chances are woft(warrant officer flight training) in the army. Its just a big packet to fill out, you sit in front of some boards, take the AFAST, pass a 1A flight physical. and if you don't get accepted the first time, you aren't screwed into some job you don't want cause you didn't sign up yet. So you can just reapply again.

and if you are good like i thought i was and get into a sweet unit like the one i'm in. don't expect to actually be a pilot for a while. i've been here for a few years now and i still sit left seat. I fly bullshit training missions as pilot, but when it comes to real shit, i sit left seat still, my pilot is a CW4. just a word of advice

17. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

A majority of Marine pilots go through OCS and not the Naval Academy. But then again, only a small portion of Naval Academy grads even go Marine option. In the Marines you can qualify for an air contract which will give you a guaranteed shot at flight school. I'd imagine all branches have something similar though.

Unless you are going through the Army warrant officer program (not 100% sure how that works), I'd encourage you to speak with an Officer Selection Officer rather than a normal recruiter. I've heard of quite a number of my Marine officer cohorts that spoke with standard Marine recruiters first and were told that service as an enlisted Marine was a prerequisite to becoming an officer. Bad gouge such as that can be avoided by speaking directly with officer recruiters.

18. kidhero

i can't say i have the personal experience to back up my point but the flight officers i have always talked to have mentioned how tough it was to fly fixed wings in the USAF.

however, when i say it's tough i don't want to discourage you from considering all routes possible for you to fly.

if your dream and goal is to fly a jet fighter talk to the navy, air force and marine corps and see what the officer recruiter says to you.

just know the journey is tough and the committment will be long and if you're ready for that and prove you're capable, no one is going to tell you no.

19. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Everyone - thanks for your help and information.

The way I see things - If something is worth doing, it generally isn't easy. If it were easy, everyone would do it...

I will need to be going to a recruiter at every branch and talk to them...then hopefully figure out the best way for me to go!

Thanks again everyone.

20. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?