GUN How difficult is it to own/carry a gun in Canada?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 12345678, Oct 15, 2002.

1. 12345678

12345678 EH?

My grandpa gave me a huge collection of different types of guns b4 he died. Do i have to register them all? And if i wanna carry a handgun, do i have to get a CCW permit?(are those avail. in canada?)

Any info is greatly appreciated
    Mike

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Canada has three classes of firearms. Non-restricted, restricted, and prohibited.

Non-restricted firearms are most hunting rifles and shotguns. Restricted are most handguns and "assault" type weapons. Prohibited are some small caliber handguns, full auto weapons, etc.

Non-restricted firearms do not currently need to be registered, but you'll have to do so by Jan '03. Restricted firearms are already required to be registered and will need to be reregistered under the new system by the same date.

Every type requires some sort of license. There are three types listed on the Canadian Firearms Center site http://www.cfc.gc.ca/en/default.asp

i've heard rumors that if you're very well connected, it is still possible to get a carry permit, but i have never been able to confirm this. It is generally not possible for the common man and obviously carrying without a permit is illegal.

Not much, but maybe you can find better info/contacts from that website.

Needless to say, i won't be living in Canada anytime soon. :o

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

or living in california soon. they need to just hurry up and break off and fall into the ocean.

4. 12345678

12345678 EH?

:bigthumb: thanks :big grin: