SRS How difficult is it to get anti-depressants?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Barack H. Obama, Nov 10, 2009.

1. I think I'm going to go to a psychiatrist to get anti-depressants. Is it as simple as telling them your depression symptoms and getting the prescription or is there more required?

2. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

my family doctor gave me some because i have chronic pain and said i had trouble sleeping, its probably easier than in should be

i flushed them, made me feel weird

3. That shit better make me feel good instantaneously. :hs:

4. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

takes 4-6 weeks for full effect.

5. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

You don't even need a psychiatrist. Your regular doctor will be more than happy to throw some pills your way if you just tell him you are feeling depressed. They hand that stuff out like it's candy.

What's going on in your life that you want to feel better instantly? Anti-depressants don't do that, it takes awhile for them to start working and you might even feel a bit worse for a little while.

Do your parents know you are having problems? I saw in your profile that you are only 16 :hs:

6. Fuuu
    That makes it a lot easier. I'll just go to our PCP then.
    Probably not that much compared to some of the stuff other people here are going through. Just typical teenage angst stuff, I don't want to sound cliche. :o
    Yeah, I wanted to avoid them knowing, but I don't think that's feasible. :hs:

7. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I'm not sure how it works with you being a minor though. And if you are going through your parents insurance they will find out since they'll get a statement in the mail describing the charges.

Even if your problems aren't as bad as other people's are, that doesn't mean they aren't important :dunno: Have you tried any other ways of dealing with things?

8. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

9. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Not going to happen. Prescription will be easy to get, but don't expect any results for at least 3 weeks.

10. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

You're 16 aren't you? There's a real chance that the anti-depressant you take will up your feelings of suicide, so you have to keep in touch with your doctor if these feelings start. It happens in a lot of teens, moreso with SNRI's/SSRI's. And yes, you won't feel the full effects for a number of weeks and then it's a cycle of trying a new one each month or so until you get one that works.

And it will be longer if you cycle between different kinds of anti-depressants as you have to ween yourself off of certain ones like SNRI's or SSRI's slowly or else you might get really nasty withdrawal symptoms like brain zaps.

But when you find something that works, it's amazing. And then you can work on cognitive/behavioural methods and physical self improvement (Exercise/diet). Then eventually, you can get off the drugs as you probably don't have clinical depression.

And ya, 5-htp and Rhodiola rosea are over the counter options. That and fish oil, vitamin D for the shorter days, combined with rigorous exercise and CBT are proven to be as or more effective than prescription drugs in people with non-clinical depression.

11. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

taking anti depressants can be just fighting a problem by creating another problem. make sure you absolutely need them

12. Saluki

Saluki New Member

My regular doctor gave them to me. Make sure you actually need them though and also going to a psychologist to talk it out is also a good idea.