LGBT How did you tell your family?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by trez157, Dec 7, 2006.

1. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

How did you tell your family about your sexual orientation? I've recently found myself more and more "attracted" to males and less attracted to females. I used to think this was normal, like wanting to hang out with the guys more than I wanted to hang out with women.. but I don't know.. lately I've seen my friends as more than just friends potentially.. I've gone as far as talking to one of my openly gay friends about it, and he says he said he was straight forward with his family. The thing is, my family isn't very accepting of the gay lifestyle, I'm afraid if I tell my mother she'll think of me as a failure..

What did you do? :/

2. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Ok when you :wackit: what do you think of? Pussy or Cock? Both?

3. trez157

I like the sound women make, but if the guy doesn't have a nice package :hsd:

4. trez157

Your av is hot btw :o

5. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

lol , christmas eve for me....
    "ring ring ring"
    me "elloh?"
    them " where are you?"
    me "shoping"
    them "you lie"
    me " you want the truth!?!?!??! Im fucking gay and at my bf ( now a ex of 2yrs) "
    me "opps"
    them "come home RIGHT NOW"
    me "i think i just OWNED myself"
    teh end.

6. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

elaboration is needed

7. Diesel Freak

Diesel Freak ♂♂ Closet Crew OT Supporter

yes, please elaborate.

I think my parents knew before I even told them. I was an emotional wreck one night for no apparent reason and ended up bawling and telling them in my frantic emotional state. I was surprised that they took it so well, especially my dad, who is an ex-marine... maybe he likes teh cawk as well. :dunno:

8. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

It was a lot less of a deal then I made it out to be at my house. Told the little sis first, took it well but I needed to take her out for ice cream later that week so we could talk more (she was 13, what was I thinking).

Brother was next, I was smashed, on purpose. He thought it was a dream.

Best friend was next. Caught me and the at the time bf making out in the projection room at work. :mamoru: Took it well but I had my ass covered in case he didnt. Who would have thought an auto parts store would take the side of sexual orientation?

Next was Mom. Couldnt figure out how to tell her for the life of me. I was putting a lot more into it then I needed to as I was an emotional disaster. I was originally going to write her a letter, give it to her so she could read it and then we could talk. She found it and read it while I was at work. When I found it missing I was very :eek4:. A couple days passed and we talked, she wanted to know everything I was hiding, so I told her......ALL....of it. By the time we were done there wasnt one secret I was hiding. It went as far as she knew what I had done, what position I liked, and who I had done what with. :eek4: :eek4:

Dad had known for about two years.

9. Diesel Freak

What position you liked?? I can't imagine sharing that information with my mom. :eek:

10. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

it has never been spoken of since

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  11. ManyHamsters

ManyHamsters There are necessary pursuits... but poetry, beauty

basically everyone my age in my family knows, started with bro, then sis, then cousins, don't think i'll tell parents, if they figure it out, so be it

12. XPX

XPX New Member

I'm 28 and I've never had a gf....my parents used to ask a lot about it but now they don't, I think they know and I don't feel strong enough to tell them right now. Maybe later in life.

13. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

It's actually my "brother's" story. We were spending some time together, hanging out. We had been living in different cities for a while so I hadn't gotten to spend a lot of one-to-one time. We're walking around the mall and he says " I have something to tell you. I have a boyfriend. Do you need to sit down?"

I was crushed, and to this day I don't think he knows how bad he hurt me. I looked him right in the eyes and said "Did you really think it would matter to me who makes you happy?"

14. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

My mom was pretty much forced, I was 17 sneaking out to meet my b/f (ex now), and apparently mom had been noticing me leaving, she confronted me, and wanted to know. So I told her, for the first few months she was an emotional wreck, but she's been getting better ever since. She still thinks gay people are the only ones who can get AIDS, but eh. My father I told this August over dinner, in New Mexico. He didnt take it so well. It was a shouting match the whole resturant could hear, he basically said I was sick and hasnt got the proper treatment. He treats me the same still, but we never talked about it again, so there are times im nervous as fuck wondering how he's taking it. Hes met my BF of 3 years and they get along, and just recently we were sitting on the couch at home and I starting rubbing my BF with my feet and dad didnt react, next I guess Is the arm around the shoulder.....

15. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

Id learn more, and look within yourself to make sure you truly feel this way....then think about talking to mom and dad.... I just wouldnt want you going to them and jumping the gun, if this is how you feel and they are how you say they are, it might get bumpy, you should only go through with it if your sure. :)

16. Create

Create :free at last:

My cousin, who'd been a confidant for a decade, defied my trust and told my parents while supposedly 'having my best interests at heart'.

My parents are traditional asian Indian. I was born in the states. They weren't ready for this and the fallout persists now, more than six months later.

The best part is my cousin wondering in a message in my voicemail "why we don't speak to each other anymore". FUCK YOU, BITCH! This drama queen is lucky I diddn't do anything malicious.

17. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I was older. It was third year in college, and I had my mags FWD to my parents house while I awaited to take possession of my off-campus housing. My mom wanted to know why I had subscriptions to Genre, OUT, and Advocate (Details, she wasn't sos sure about)... I said, "I've been happily riding cawk for 11 years, and now you question me?" It was snide and malicious, but my car had just been broken into and I inappropriately lashed out. I think that when she went through the whole 'how/why' song and dance, I even went so far as to describe in detail my first time which took place under her roof while she was home. I believe I thanked her for the 'hook up' (I later apologized).

18. Diesel Freak

:eek: Your poor mom must've been in shock!

19. XPX

XPX New Member

baby steps.....doesn't sound like something I would do

this does :rofl:
    this is me, I'd say it without thinking and knowing me it would turn into a heated fight that will end with me walking away and telling them to never speak to me ever again.

Been there done that I only talk to half my family :hs: (over family issues, not gay stuff)

20. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

i havent told my family yet. i'm hoping i can move out and away so that when i do tell them i wont have to face the backlash

21. mikelcroft.

mikelcroft. New Member

Well, I came out a little more than a year ago - I was really nervous to come out... I'm from a really small town full of ignorant people - for a while I just wanted to pretend I was straight, because I thought it wasn't ok to be gay. But there comes a time where you just say fuck it - I'm gonna live my life.

It gets much easier after you tell one person... I told my sister first, we've always been very close... and yeah, it was hard, because I thought her whole opinion of me would change from that moment on, I thought that she'd think less of me. But it wasn't like that at all, in the end.

So yeah, I came out to my mom like a week after - she had a hard time accepting it at first, but she let me know that she loves me no matter what, and she'll support me in how ever I choose to live my life. lol, she still, to this day, refers to my BF as 'My Friend'. I'm like "Mom, it's ok to say he's my boyfriend"... lol but she's been so awesome through it all.

Then some other family members went as far as disowning me - Heh, I just figured if that's how they're going to act I don't need them in my life anyway.

Overall, it was a great experience, coming out... The people that matter most to me have taken it well... so I guess that's all that matters.
    :)

22. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

A year long of stuff. It's near the start of a journal that is in a pile of journals that happen to be in my closet. Coincidentally it's the only entry written in black pen, whereas all of my other entries are written in blue. The newer ones are written in pencil because there is just something comforting about writing with a yellow pencil.

What a horrid year. What a lot learned. What a horrid year. When I finally come to terms with what went on I will likely burn the journal. Until then, it's chilling on the floor there. I can see it from here. If it had teeth it would eat me. Good thing it doesn't have teeth anymore--I don't hold a grudge against certain people regarding the situation, including myself.

23. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

i haven't really told anyone in my family as of yet. with exception of one of my older brothers. he took it ok i guess. the people that are close to me that ive told i kinda look back and think of how badly executed it was. i wass drunk for most of the story telling to both of my best friends, but they both took it well with the initial shock "thats nasty" comment, but theyve both gotten over that stage or what you want to call it. other people that didnt take it well ive just lost contact with, i dont really need them in my life

24. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I'm the good child. She has been through much worse from the girls... :o But yes, she was very hurt by my malicious language. She accused me of 'betraying her', which I thought was rather melodramatic at the time. "What is this, All My Children? Listen Erica Kane, how did I betray you?" She went off on some craziness about how she trusted me to have friends, and I betrayed that trust by sleeping with them. I just looked at her in disbelief of her logic.

Anyway, I was on the phone with her for 4 hours (of international long distance, on my dime) as she complained about how horrible my sisters are behaving. And they really are. My coming out to my mom was probably the worst thing that I have ever done to her. But my sisters...lawd, we could have a Knock Down, Drag Out episode of Jerry Springer. :o

25. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Boyfriend of 8 years decides he wants to fuck my 17 year old friend, calls me over, asks permission and I go :ugh: :wtf: And that's when he asks for a 3 some and I again go :ugh: :wtf: And that's when he tells me that he fucked around with 20+ guys while we were together but that "I've really cut back in the last 2-3 years. Had it down to you who I love and a couple of other guys I had been messing around with the entire time who are (he told me they were both married and both good friends of mine :eek5:)" This sent me into the emo wreck that I still am today. I came out to some of what I thought were my closest friends who told people (after saying they wouldn't) who told my Mom. Which let to my Mom chasing me around with a baseball bat, me crying, us fighting, we went somewhere she took me to my friends house and they said listen your Mom already suspects and probably knows.. just fucking tell her! I did, cried, passed out in mid jumping out of the van... This led to me moving about 400 miles away, flunking two semesters of college, my Mothers death 6 months later, etc. Now maybe you all understand why I am the way I am...