SRS How did you quit smoking v. probably-been-asked-before

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by althepirate, Mar 3, 2008.

1. althepirate

althepirate Talk nerdy to me.

It's so hard...so very, very hard for me to quit smoking.

I've been smoking for about 6 years now. Highest amount per day was about half a pack. I quit for a month [Jan - Feb] then started again when I started my new job. Deluded myself for a while it was temporary and I've come to realization that yes, I'm an addict and yes, this is going to be MUCH harder than I originally thought.

I went for about two weeks with virtually no cravings, third week brought HARDCORE cravings, and week 4 I gave in after a particularly hard day at work. When I quit that month, I just went cold turkey.

My question to all the people who feel they've done it....how did you do it? How did you cope with the cravings, how ARE you coping with the cravings? What did you read, who did you talk to, what did you do instead, etc. I need inspiration and ideas....I'm staring at my pack, daydreaming about just throwing it away and not looking back....

2. althepirate

So I've officially quit for 30 hours now and I'm already feeling it. I miss my cigarettes :wtc:

I can do this. I know I can. I ended up giving my pack to another person on the floor simply because I couldn't bring myself to throw them away altogether.

Wish me luck, guys!

3. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

shortly after i turned 30 i finally gave up the habit. i had already weaned myself down from a pack a day to 3-4 cigarettes a day to 1-2 cigarette a day over the course of mebbe a year. i still have one every great once in a while, particularly if at a bar or playing cards, but they just aren't that enjoyable anymore. i think the most crucial factor was the last person at work to smoke besides me also decided to quit, he was a hardcore smoker as well.

i wanted to quit in my 20s on and off but never succeeded, i would just go back to it after a couple of weeks. i think the problem was i really enjoyed smoking back then.

i was a smoker from the age of 12, at one point up to two packs a day in my late teens/early 20s, throughout my 20s pretty much a pack a day.

you will be astounded at how much better you feel a week or two after you quit, let alone a month or two. you will wake up in the morning and feel great. it is amazing, good luck to you!

4. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

i smoked a pack a day for over a year, quit cold turkey
    i just didnt go out for a week cuz being around second hand smoke would put me on edge, felt better after two weeks, after a month had no cravings

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

everytime i got the urge, i remembered how nasty my mouth tasted and how much i stunk when i smoked. i got tired of smelling nasty.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yes it's been asked and answered time and again. In fact, we need a sticky that captures all the feedback from everyone about this issue.

/paging IKilledTupac to isle 9

Or you could just buy a subscription and search this subforum.

7. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

the smell was definitely something that helped me quit as well.

we (my roommate and i) starting smoking outside instead of in the apartment about a year before i quit. you could smell how awful the clothing was in the house when we smoked inside. you can still smell it when you check your clothes in the morning after going to the bar :mamoru:

smoking outside definitely helped reduce my intake as well, it was one of the first things i did in terms of reducing consumption and probably halved how many smokes i smoked.

8. stonesthrow

stonesthrow Grand puba and dattie, ridin shotty in the maserat OT Supporter

smoking makes you looks cool

9. Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?!

I stopped smoking, thats it, no bullshit fixes, just stop.

10. althepirate

A sticky about this would be great.

I'm on day two, no cigarettes....and I'm hacking up some awesome brown phlegm. Bleh. At least I don't stink of smoke :hsd:

11. Coottie

A) How long have you been off cigs?

B) Bullshit fixes? Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs around. If people need help getting off that shit, then they shouldn't be made to feel ashamed because you somehow were able to do it without those fixes.

12. Coottie

Keep going...it's totally worth it when you're 100% smoke free.

13. pixing

pixing New Member

Cold turkey. A pack a day smoker for a long time. Non smoker now for 10+ years.

I think you have to get it in your mind that you really and truly want nothing more to do with cigarettes. Not like, I really should quit because it's bad for me and I stink and it costs money but that it's not going to be the boss of me - I don't want to smoke ever again.

At first there were bad cravings, and I helped myself by staying away from people who smoked and situations where I really enjoyed smoking(for me that meant no bars or the like for a while.)

I don't suppose that you would take up something like knitting, but it helped me to have a distraction for my hands while I watched TV, plus I wouldn't want a burn hole in my project.

After a couple of weeks, your sense of smell starts to recover and you realize how bad the smoke is, that helped me too.

Good luck.

14. althepirate

On Day 3 today...whenever I cough, it feels/tastes like there's a pile of ashes in my lungs. Ugh.

I'm keeping myself from drinking/going to bars for the next month at least. I get incredible urges to smoke while I drink.

The hardest part are my breaks/lunch at work. We have 15 min breaks and a 45 min lunch....I used to fill that time with smoking, but I don't have anything to do now but surf the internet! I need to find something to do at work during my free time. The knitting/crocheting idea is great....I might bring my crochet projects with me - keep my hands occupied and my mind off the smokers just outside the door.

15. cope

cope GETONMYHYPE

16. althepirate

Update:

It's been one week exactly since I quit smoking and I'm still going strong...although I am a bit crotchety lol. I'm getting my sense of smell back and the hacking of the brown phlegm is only getting stronger. But I haven't smoked, so that's amazingly good!

17. pixing

pixing New Member

that is AWESOME! good for you.

And I'm glad that the hobby suggestion was helpful. (in fact you should check out craftster.org if you don't know about it already - they will give you ideas for more projects than you have time for, and are terrific enablers :) ..)

It's ok if you feel cranky, your body is detoxing. The imp that is your nicotine habit will continue to nag at you, but the voice will become quieter and easier to ignore every day.

18. Amadeus

Amadeus Women Love Saying To Me, "Rock Me Amadeus!"

When you smell cigarette smoke and it annoy's you, then you know that you have fully recovered.

----------------------

Yes, cigarette's is the worst drug in the world and it's still legal!

With me I had no choice but to quit. I could not afford the cost of them any more. That is how broke my ass was and is. My mother was a three pack a day smoker and she had to quit because she could not afford it either. It is real rough when you are forced to go through the withdrawls and stuff because you have no choice but to stop smoking.

I see homeless people smoking and think that they have money, but they are just not spending it in the correct places.

I smoke once in a while, like two ciggy's a month. Not enough to get me hooked again, but enough to convince me that I'm getting that fix that I need! Hahahahaha!

19. OhFourTwoThree

OhFourTwoThree New Member

I've quit for about a year now. One day I just quit cold turkey. When I think about the bad smell on my clothes, hair (remember that other people can smell it too yuck) and the money I'm saving, it keeps me from going back. I feel healthier..when I jog, I don't run out of breath as easily. I also don't have to worry about the aging effects. If you look at a lot of smokers in their 30s and above, they look rough. You can see the damage smoking did to their face.

I still get psychological cravings and I've gained weight but I keep the above in mind.

20. cd7

cd7 how troublesome

i really struggle with quitting. i don't see how people suddenly feel better after a week or so, because every morning of that week, i would feel like shit and would not want to get out of bed. i embedded it into my habits; where i woke up, had coffee and a cigarette and then brush my teeth and shower. just messing up my routine made my mornings feel off track. i've heard a lot about chantix but i really want to quit on my own. i still have hope but my will is still too weak. it's not what you want to hear, but all you need is a strong mind.

21. Slippy

Slippy OT Supporter

Willpower and self-motivation.. thats what got me through it.. all my friends, most of my family and co-workers smoke. Man it was the hardest thing i've ever done, and it wasn't even the first time i've tried. But honestly, I kept bad-mouthing myself everytime i would get a craving. I'd sit there in my head and think something like 'Dude if you give in you are such a pussy.. you are a weak, weak pathetic smoker, that's all you'll ever be!" i know that sounds psycho lol but it worked.. it was just that extra push i needed though. It's been about a month and a half now and i STILL get cravings every now and then but not near as much as the beginning. Trust me, if you stay strong and keep up with not smoking, you will love yourself in another month or so. Keep that in mind everytime you get a craving.