How did you get used to Vista?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Oct 30, 2008.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Okay all...I have had Vista on my home computer for a year now. I have used it because I know I will have to change over sometime, and the earlier the better.

for whatever reason, it still bugs the shit outta me. It might be because I used XP at my primary work 9 hours a day and then at my other work for like 2-3 hours a day.

When I go to use my computer at home, it just seems like a PITA to do anything on that computer. Is there a way to change some preferences so I might like it more?

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

like what? personally I find vista much easier to use once you get it setup. I turned off UAC and changed the power button in the start menu to power off rather than sleep.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i use vista at home and it works fine for me. been about a year i think as well.

i am a normal user with uac ENABLED; i changed my start menu power button function like wabash did. I disable most of the aero animated eye candy, but I still use the styled menus and such.

at work, as far as gui's go, i use 2k,xp/2k3, vista/2k8, osx, gnome, cde, whatever... so it doesn't bother me, since it all works or i make it work.

my only pet peeve is the start menu programs. whenever i install a new program, sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't (regardless if i install as admin or user via UAC ack), some times i get an embedded programs folder within my programs folder, and when i delete the embedded programs folder, the program shortcuts/folders under that folder are gone from my start menu as well.

everything else works great, no crashes, no hangs, nice and fast.

my box is a [email protected], 4G(3.5G), 8800GTS G92, xonar, other shit

4. Repost

Repost PENCIL DICK

Turn off UAC and it's great.

I use Vista at work and at home and hate it when i'm on an XP machine now as they tend to be slower, plus i'm just used to vista now.

much more reliable that xp as well

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I got used to it as part of my job. I set about using it for a week and looking up solutions to everything that bugged the shit out of me, and creating .BAT or .REG files to automagically implement those changes on future machines.

Thus far I've turned down the amount of space used for Shadow Copies and System Restore, I've turned off all indexing, I've turned off the feature that remembers which user last logged on (not useful on a domain), I disabled Aero and installed WindowBlinds instead, etc.

6. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I use vista on my main laptop and I don't really have any problems with it. I too changed the button in the start menu to shut down (don't know why vista did that...) instead of sleep.
    I kept the Aero look because I think it looks nice and even with 12 programs open my computer doesn't slow down.
    I didn't like it at first but vista is the future so I might as well get used to it now.

Lenovo T61p 2.6 ghz duel core, 4gb ram, Vista business 64bit

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Zero issues with Vista here... Turn off UAC and you are good to go.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

can you give any examples of what problems you're having? i started using vista a few months ago and haven't really found anything to complain about. i haven't found enough different that would affect me on a day to day basis.

i did turn off UAC also.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I installed Vista to dual boot w/ XP when it came out
    that kind of ease the transition

now,.. i just use vmware if need xp

10. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah. i'm not really sure. I think I will take the suggestions of turning off UAC and disabling the AERO look. That might make my day better. The UAC has bugged the shit outta me though so I guess I will finally just do that. I guess I was just also dissappointed at the fact I had to update some programs to work with vista (CS3 being one of them). Some of my older programs always seem to hang and it just isn't as smooth as XP (for me).

I wont go back to XP, b/c I know that I will have to get used to this eventually.

thanks for the suggestions everyone and I will try to customize the thing to my liking so that it is more enjoyable to use. The speed of it is not really a problem though and I am only running a core 2 duo E4400 and 2 gigs ram. I'm not really doing anything that requires that much power.

I am also organizing my office in my house to be more comfortable (that could have been much of the problem too). I'll let you guys know how my updates go.

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

why do people turn off UAC, what is wrong with it. i only get prompted when i install some programs, new drivers, or need to run an app as admin. other than that, it doesn't show up.

12. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

Yeah I agree. I never found it to be that bothersome. Just more secure.

13. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Some of the things you do totally boggle my mind. Why the hell do you install 3rd party shit while trying to increase the performance of it? Windowblinds is shit.

14. deusexaethera

Because the "classic mode" in Vista looks like ass (wtf translucent borders around everything?), and WindowBlinds lets me have my pretty shit with less overhead.

Yes, I did check my memory usage; it was better with WB6. No, I'm not going to put WB6 on company machines, that was just a personal interest.

Anyway, I wasn't really trying to improve the performance of it, just make it behave the way I wanted it to.

15. deusexaethera

I take it you've never renamed a desktop icon, or moved a shortcut from one folder to another in the Start menu? Because it checks you on that shit too.

16. Hate Crime

Get a better machine? You must be running garbage if your system can't handle aero.

17. deusexaethera

Yes, it's an old spare machine. The point of the exercise was to see which changes really made any difference, and those differences will be most pronounced on a machine that can barely handle the load to begin with.

18. donson

donson New Member

what are some good programs that make vista better

19. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Ive had copies of vista that I used in Vmware only to get used to it and the feel for it since so many new computers came out with it but I never could get adjusted to it. My old computer purchased in 2003 new was decent and still is today but was loud as fuck, I got tired of it and got into the market for a new computer. For a couple weeks I toyed around online for new systems but found it to be cheaper to find one from like best buy and just add in whatever. I decided on vista then when I got the new system.

Few times I got aggravated with it I have gotten blue screens when I ran yahoo msger on it but other then that I've not had any problems. It just kinda grew on me. Other then the looks I don't really see the difference, still does what I need. :dunno:

I been using XP ever since it came out and all the time like a part of life. I got used to the OS changes over the years we all will. My vista runs fine, if it doesn't work for you then you obviously are not suited to use it. It might have had some problems coming out but runs fine in my opinion

Gateway 5692 AMD Phenom 64 Bit Triple Core. 8 gigs of ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

20. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

nope. regardless on what it checks, if i were to do that, that would be once in a while, not a daily task.

you guys make UAC behave like that MAC commercial, which is doesn't.

windows UAC, the pseudo-sudo, works fine and is only intrusive when it needs to be.

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

it pissed me off when i was building my PC. i was installing a bunch of apps and making all kinds of system changes and it was a constant intrusion. then, some apps won't work if you install them while UAC is off and then try to turn it back on. so, i turned it off and left it off. if you know what you are doing with a PC, there is no reason to use UAC. i did leave it on for my parents and that greatly reduces the number of calls i get to fix stuff due to my cousins and various other idiots installing software on their computer while they are visiting.

one thing that MS could do with UAC to make a huge improvement is the ability to stop its nagging for a period of time. so, if you are going through and updating drivers and all that crap or are getting some new software, you can hit ok or put in your password once and that covers you for a while.

22. Rustinpeace

Rustinpeace Gonna end up a big 'ol pile a them bones. OT Supporter

Bought a laptop that came bundled with it. Used it for about 5 minutes and that was it. Its not that much different from XP.

23. thebox

thebox New Member

i installed vista, spent a couple of days getting used to the basic changes, and i have preferred it over xp since :dunno:

24. Hate Crime

Clearly you only used it for the full 5 minutes to determine that..:ugh:

25. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

i've used it for a couple weeks and you just get used to it