SRS How did you find your "calling" in life?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EE CUMMINGS, May 13, 2005.

1. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

I graduate college tommorrow, and I, like many have NO idea what i want to do.

My major is in business but i have 0 interest in it, i was one of those kids who went to college just because it was the thing to do after highschool.

I've always questioned my motiviation but i feel that my motiviation was in question because i was doing things i had no interest in. I sucked at my business classes, but i did very well in the non business classes i was in (like journalism, etc). i should have taken note of this and changed my major a long time ago but i felt the "indirect pressure" of my parents to major in something that is noteworthy (like engineering, or going to med school). asian parents are like that.

my grades in college were just satisfactory, i never had a desire like some people to go to law school, or to work at xxxxx firm, etc

I just had an intial interview (phone) with a company and they were going to refer me to an inperson interview and i pretended i was very interested and told me to fill out this long form online and i just quit doing it. I had no interest in thef irst place and i felt like if i were to get this job, i would pick a career where i dont want. (financial planning was the job)

I also have an interview next week and i honestly do not want to work in that field either (real estate).

am i being too picky?

the thought of doing a job honestly makes me sad/depressed.

I understand the need to make a living to support yourself, wife kids when it comes down to it, but i truely do not want a career in business. I don't have the business profile, i dont care about competition, im in it for the ride and to enjoy all the small moments.

i see my friends graduating, some are going to med school, others have nice jobs lined up and "Seem" excited/pump about starting/working. I feel that if i had a job lined up i wouldnt be excited at all. I dont know what i want

Am i being unreasonable/stubborn and i just need to grow up??

BUT

The one thing i know what i want to do in life is: i want to enrich peoples lives through art/music. Thats the one thing that i know will make me happy.

I am talented (or ive been told by my music teachers throughout the years) in music, and i have a strong interest in photography.

Am i still thinking pipe dreams or what?

or is there a bigger problem at stake?

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  2. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I'm in the same boat as you except i'm just starting my business classes now. I chose finance as my major because i couldn't decide what i wanted to major in but was kind of talked into it by my family even though i didn't really want to do it. i guess i'm kinda interested in it? I'm mean i like money but i dont know if i want to do finance for the rest of my life.

thing is, your life doesn't have to be your major and your major doesn't have to be your life. if you're interested in photography then go to barnes and & noble, read up on how to take good photos, invest in a nice camera, start taking photos everywhere, when you feel like you've improved, send some of your pictures to a local newspaper, or some small time magazine and see if you can get hired. James Nachtwey is one of the best known photojournalists and he's an awesome war photography. He graduated from Dartmouth with a degree in Political Science, became a truck driver while he learned how to take photos, then worked his way up to become a war photographer for Time Magazine.

If you don't like business, then fuck it. Don't do it. As long as you have a piece of paper saying you graduated, then you're in good shape. get a job to support yourself and pursue what you love.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

4. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

You actually made a good choice my friend.... a business oriented course is valuable to you in the long run if you're undecided.

No matter what your "calling" is in the future....that business background will come in handy to aid you in running your own business doing something you really love doing. You'll always need to be able to handle money & find people who need what you have to offer them. So you got a good foundation.

You'll find your calling one day.... just don't be afraid to take opportunities that are presented to you. Don't let mom & dad dictate what you want to be. I know how that is, I got asian parents as well. It's a Joy Luck Club thing going on....but down inside them, they're proud of you no matter what you do.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

don't sweat it.. most college kids are in the same boat.

three of my friends, a psych major, cognitive science and biology major are opening up a restaurant, for example.

I know a Bioengineering major doing construction project management, I know a history major doing IT, another doing consulting for Oracle. A natural science major as a project manager for Lockheed Martin.

There's more out there than you think, and you're hardly limited by your degree choice.

6. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

heh heh, a thought ...

what if you can create a business from your passions, and launch it??

that way you are using what you have learnt, and still doing what you want to do??

maybe branch into a new or undiscovered market that is only just emerging?? if you look into some magazines, or listen through word-of-mouth, you should be able to find it!!

good luck, champ!!

(also, could I recommend Anthony Robbins' Date With Destiny Course, if you have the time and patience??) --> www.anthonyrobbins.com

7. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:werd:

:dunno: i've always known i wanted to go into forensics since i was a freshmen in high school. i did an independent study on forensic entomology my senior year and shadowed someone in forensic toxicology my junior year.

:hs: i realize i'm not the norm... it's all about being passionate about something, and you obviously know what that is! keep your dreams alive and just keep searching and plugging away. something will eventually click! :big grin:

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The only thing that counts in life is love and helping others. You can find your motivation and joy in that life is not about ,money ,house,car,your carreer,your school your position in life, but with your loving interaction with others, that's why you are here in the first place to love and help others.

9. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

oii!!

I don't see anything wrong with him using what he already knows and creating something ...

sorry, would you like to explain your bold, and size me up?? cos it certainly doesn't make any logical sense over here ...

:eek3:

10. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:doh: i was agreeing with you... hence the :werd: :ugh2:

:mamoru:

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its time to start living your life for you. You know what your callings are... now follow them.

12. shankems2000

shankems2000 If you read everybody's user text and location, yo

Business is good if you could never decide on a major. Like civicom said, you aren't limited as far as careers with your major you chose in college. What about people that thought they wanted to do a certain major, swore they did, worked in that field for a couple of years and then decided it wasn't for them? They moved on and looked for something they wanted to do.

Oh, and you're not being stubborn or lazy about the idea of working for a living. I think it's a daunting prospect for any college grad or person entering the "real world".

You have found your calling in life

"I want to enrich people's live through art and music".

You just have to find a good way to do it. Someone suggested building a photography portfolio and then sending it into magazines or news stations, perfect start.

Maybe, you could go back to school. I know it's not that easy, but it's possible. Get a second degree, but this time in journalism.

Good Luck man.:x: