SRS How did you find out what you wanted to do in life?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Replicant, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Replicant

Replicant New Member

About me,

I'm 30 now. I told myself this wouldn't happen and it has. I still haven't gotten my shit together. :o I have worked shit jobs ever since I started at 15. I mostly have worked call center stuff....At&t, Sprint, Hertz, etc. The jobs were fine but I haven't grown up. I literally have no ambition and it scares me. I'm a fairly normal guy from Oklahoma that hasn't applied himself to anything really. I don't have any skills at all except with computers. I'm good with them and I usually build my own pc but tons of people do that so that is nothing to me.

I went to a local vo-tech(francis tuttle) and they had some decent courses for a few trades in computers and it would take 1-2 years roughly but they couldn't give me any hard facts on how successful I might be with this vs that. In my mind the most difficult thing I cannot get past is not knowing for certain if I will even get a job with the experience or more importantly being able to keep the particular job for a while. I'm so confused about everything changing so quickly. I just think with computers I am going to constantly have to update myself to be worth a damn. It's maddening. I don't want something boring, just solid. I don't want take school to just be outdated almost immediately. :( Does this make sense or can anyone relate?

I just want to be able to have a clearer vision and right now I feel it's impossible. It fucking sucks and I just sit around everyday thinking about it. I can't take it anymore. I'm pissed enough to want to find the answer but I feel as If I am walking around in the dark.

I'll answer whatever questions you have. :big grin: lol

2. SnugNuts

SnugNuts New Member

i still dont know, im 22 and changed my major 4 times already, and still considered a sophomore, been going to school for 3 years :hs:

3. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I am still not positive what I want to do with my life. I kept adding on majors in school, and I have not quite finished two of my three yet. A lot of us voters work computers, so this is a good place to get info on that career. What type of stuff do you think you would enjoy doing? We can start from there.

4. Replicant

Replicant New Member

I like architecture and furniture design a lot. My dad has been a machinist for 30 years. It's all he has ever done. I definitely do not want to be a machinist but similarities of what my dad does and the type of things I like makes me wonder.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

so you're not doing anything because you're afraid if you do you won't succeed?

but in the meantime you're not doing anything.... so you're not succeeding.

it's called analysis paralysis. you're thinking so much about the situation that you can't actually accomplish anything. stop thinking and start doing, then figure out where to go from there.

btw, I'm 40 and have no idea what i really want to do. good luck.

6. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

You could see if any of your local schools of architecture courses. You could also try making furniture yourself and selling it on the side (not sure about that, don't know anything about it)

7. tan koi

tan koi Guest

First off, don't be so hard on yourself. Very few people can put a finger on what they plan to do and fewer are happy with their choice. My own father switched his occupations more than you at your age. Many of them were shitty.

Find a specialty that will stick around for a while if you're into computers. Stray away from hardware/software benchwork stuff. There's no money there.

Are you interested in building and administrating networks? Look into getting CCNA certified with a specialty in voice, wireless, or security. Interested in working with more with enterprise software? Look into the Microsoft Certified Professional program and see which area interests you the most. There's a plethora of professional certifications in IT that can get you somewhere provided you gain some experience along the way.

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Just enjoy the ride of life. Enjoy the journey. Don't be so desperate to find your "thing" because your "thing" is to live and experience as much as you can.

That being said, you won't be "outdated immediately" if you go to school. And school will help open up new doors for you.

9. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

This is quite true.

10. Replicant

Replicant New Member

I do want to enjoy the journey. I really feel I need to condition myself for change. Is there any material you or anyone else could recommend? I've watched some stuff with Tony Robbins. :o He is actually very good.

11. Daria

Daria New Member

What really helped me was going to the local college in my city. There was a section at the front of the school that had a few walls of shelves with pamphlets for each of the programs offered at the school. So I picked a huge bunch and read what the programs were about, what courses and subjects were taught in each program. I also did some research into the availability of jobs in my city for the programs I was interested in. Then I did some research into how much the average person is paid for the careers I could get after graduating from the programs.

All of that helped me decide.

If you really have your heart set on IT, you could try applying for jobs as a tester analyst or network security technician. To get a job as a tester, you can push the idea that you have alot of experience with troubleshooting for clients and you could use that experience to find software problems. Network Security Technician would probably require you to go back to school, but it's a small price to pay for happiness.

You could always go to job searching sites and see what else is out there. Open your mind to possibilities that you might not gravitate to normally and give some new careers a thought. Do some research and you might find something new to consider.

12. Daria

Daria New Member

Honestly, you just have to not think about it and just go do what you have to do. Think about your unhappiness in your current situation to use as motivation if you have to.