How did I do v. firstpcbuild

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigboostdsm, Aug 26, 2008.

1. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Made a thread a few weeks ago about building a computer, figured I'd update since it's *almost* done.

Specs:
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E
    Processor: Intel C2D E8500 (3.16ghz)
    Memory: Twin 2x4096-6400C5 G (2x2gb)
    Case:Antec 900
    PSU: Thermaltake 600w
    CPU fan: Zalman CNPS9700 (uninstalled)
    Hard Drive: Spare WD caviar 60gig from an old computer
    Optical Drive: Samsung dvd+-RW
    Video: ATI 850xt (temporary, bein borrowed from a friend)
    Monitor: Samsung 2253bw
    One extra case fan, same as the ones that were included. Total of 4x 120mm tri-speed fans, 1x 200mm top case fan, 110mm CPU fan, and the PSU fan. This thing has more airflow than it ill ever need.

Still need to:

-order and install a shorter round IDE cable and then finish up the cable management.
    -Install the CPU fan, waiting on UPS.
    -Buy a newer graphics card. One that supports dual DVI.
    -Buy a 2nd 22" monitor, right now I have duals with the 22" samsung and an old 15" NEC :p
    -Buy a bigger hard drive (60 gigs ain't gonna get me very far, but it's what I had on hand. Probably going with a 640gb Seagate Barracuda.
    -New desk speakers
    -under desk cable management
    -new garbage can and a cd case and my new home office is complete.

The desk pictured is one that I built on my own out of 3/4" oak plywood. Also built a stand for the PC itself so that it's not sitting on the ground, as well as a stand for the printer so that it doesn't have to take up desk space. I'm quite the handyman :cool: Onto the pics:

First pic is just the side of the case opened up.
    [​IMG]
    This one is all light up with a dark room. It's VERY bright, I can't leave it on overnight
    [​IMG]
    Please note my badass desk chair, a corbeau race seat :big grin:
    [​IMG]
    Stands I built for the tower and printer. There's actually a cutout on the tower stand where the PSU's fan is pointed.
    [​IMG]

2. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Also my borrowed video card needs to go back to it's owner sooner than I realized. Any suggestions on what to run? My only real requirement is that it supports dual DVI, because I'll be running dual monitors in the near future.

My mobo supports crossfire, but I am 99% sure that I will never run dual GPU's. I am not a gamer by any means, I'll probably play starcraft 2 when it comes out but it really won't progress past that. I have a 360 and my couch is more comfy than my computer chair :o

I'm looking at ~150 or so. Noise doesn't really bother me, as I said the PC is shut off over night.

Here are the two I'm looking at now in order of preference:

eVGA 8800GTS (129.99 after MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130317

ASUS Radeon 4850 (152.99 after MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121253

Are the eVGA 9600GT's any good? They are ~120 plus a $20 MIR and still support dual DVI. I'd prefer to order from zipzoomfly but they don't sell the 8800gts anymore. Newegg charges sales tax in TN. If the 9600's are decent then I may just grab one of those up since they are priced very well.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

not a fan of the thermaltake power supplies, but other than that it looks good to me.

4. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

:bigthumb:

Really the only bad reviews about it were that it came DOA, but I didn't have that problem so I'm happy.

Any suggestions on a video card? The 9600GT is looking very appealing at 99.99 after a rebate. My books for class were quite a bit more money than I had planned so I need to keep the price as low as possible.