How did I do today? v. long/newbie

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by wrwarwick, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrwarwick

wrwarwick OT Supporter

So I just started recovering from some fairly major surgery, but I am feelin alright now.

Little bit about me, 6'1 190lbs. I used to weight about 380 and lost it all naturally (diet + exercise, no surgery there). At this point I am fairly happy with my weight. I want to get a bit leaner and put on a decent amount of muscle mass. Before surgery I wasn't lifting but I was up to running 3 miles in a little under 30 minutes. Surgery + travel trip to work puts me at not having worked out for about 3 weeks.

So today I went to the gym and started lifting - pretty much my first time approaching it seriously in my lifetime. Heres what I did (my form was probably off some, leaned most from watching youtube videos):

10x1 (thats repsxsets right?) at 95lbs benching (the bar weights 45lbs usually?) I kinda think this is pathetic, but I also didn't really wanna go higher cuz this was a strain and I didnt have a spotter.

10x1 85lbs squat
    10x1 105lbs squat

I really think I could go higher here, probably to atleast 150 if not more, and will make that my goal for thursday.

10x1 25lbs the lift where u have one knee on bench, one standing and lift straight at your side, did 10 for each arm.

Did some dumbell curls @ 20lbs sitting, (i think thats what they are called), did about 80 and I started to feel like I literally couldn't lift them one bit more).

Tried to do some curls, did about 2 but that was last and my arms were so weak after 2 I couldnt curl up just the bar (these were the ones on the sitting curl bench).

Did 3 chinups from hanging.

So its obvious I am a newb from my termilogy, but I have been lurking for awhile. What can I do to improve? How fast should I start moving up?

Also, I am taking ECA stack 2x daily (25mg ephedrine, 200mg caffeine, one baby aspirin).

After that I did 25minutes on the treadmill speedwalking @ 12min mile.

That was my workout, any comments appreciated.

As far as diet:

I tried to eat lean as possible. I think I may be shorting myself a little too much on calories. How does it look to you guys? Suggestions on what needs improvement? I had:

2 pieces wheat toast, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1.3 cups dannon light and fit yogurt, 1 scoop on whey w/ 3/4 cup skim milk.

Lunch was salad + 3/4 cups pasta salad + 1/2 cup tuna. It sucked because I cant bring my lunch this week, I am working out at the shipyards for a project.

When i got home I had one Tablespoon nutella.

For dinner I had 8oz ground turkey with broccoli, green pepper and onions + a bit of tomato sauce (not high in sugar tho like many).

End of day breakday:

1,614 calories
    41g of fat
    139g of carbs
    62g sugar
    11g fiber
    184g protein

Suggestions for improvement welcome here :)

Also, I have been thinking about getting a couple personal training sessions to teach me some lifts and such, would this be a good idea?

2. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

umm not sure if i missed it but what kinda surgury

3. wrwarwick

wrwarwick OT Supporter

I actually had a shit ton of extra skin removed from when I used to be fat. ~2 years after the weight loss it hadn't tightened up AT ALL so they operated because I would get rashes etc.

4. dwarfcat

dwarfcat COLTS FTMFW

how long did it take to go from 380 to 190, thats epic brah

5. wrwarwick

wrwarwick OT Supporter

380-260 in a year, 260-220 took another 8 months (break inbetween, wasnt motivated) 220-200 was another 5 months, 200-190 bout 2 months.

6. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

damn bro

7. wrwarwick

wrwarwick OT Supporter

No real feedback :( Am I doing this wrong ;o

8. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

read the stickies and be a good lurker, you'll be more successful that way. Just be an open book and soak up all the info you can. Progress on your weights at a comfortable level. Something simple like, if you can do 12 reps, you need a heavier weight, without sacrificing form.

congrats on the major weight loss already

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.