GUN How did I do my first time at the shootung range? *pics*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SlickStick, Mar 23, 2004.

1. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

How did I do my first time at the shooting range? *pics*

I went to an indoor shooting range for my first time the other day to try it out. I think I did pretty good for a first, but I really don't know. I was shooting a 9mm Carbine Rifle (probably not the best description but this is all I remember that the guy said about it). I started out with the target about halfway down the range and here's how I did:
    [​IMG]

After another clip of shooting halfway I moved the target all the way to the end of the range and this is how I did:
    [​IMG]

I was shooting 5 head, 5 chest. I didnt ask how long the range is, but maybe there is a standard distance :dunno: How does it look like I did for my first time, I don't know how easy it is supposed to be to shoot with a rifle like that. I couldn't use hand guns because I am not 21 yet.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  2. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

the indoor range i went to didn't allow headshots :hs:

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

don't go to a range that doesn't allow you to shoot at the heads of targets that HAVE HEADS. that's stupid. granted, you should be shooting center mass anyways, but still, it's a principle thing. that's like ranges that won't let you shoot at pictures of bad guys.

as for how you did, it would depend on what distance at which you made those shots. i'd say that's pretty good for a first timer.

4. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

I just called the range and they said it was "60 feet or so." I'd think the guy would know exactly :ugh:

5. footratfunkface

my local indoor range goes to 75 feet. at that range, it's dark and hard to see back there, but even lit (with a surefire on my AR), you'd still be doing pretty good with 9mm, even out of a carbine. the kel-tec sub-2000 isn't capable of much more than what you did on the guy's head in the 2nd picture, but i don't know how other 9mm carbines fare.

6. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Awesome, here is a picture of me with the gun I was using...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second one is me shooting but you can barely even see the target back there :rofl: It looks like the gun is a "Hi Point" from the picture on this website, but I'm not positive. http://www.mkssupply.com/carbine.asp

7. footratfunkface

yep. it's a hi-point. which means you were doing very well. i'd estimate that the range is probably 50-60 feet.

8. mrbill

mrbill New Member

for your first time, and with a crappy gun, i'd say you did pretty good.

9. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

thanks man, sweet. I think I am going to go more often because it was really fun. Yea the guy said 60 ft, I don't think when I am shooting in the pic the target is all the way back so that might throw you off a little.

10. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

What makes it a crappy gun, just out of curiosity to learn about guns. I suspected it wasn't good though myself, the thing on the side you push forward to load the clip (sorry i'm ignorant and have no idea what it's called :hs: ) had a screw head sticking out of it and was really awkward to pull out/push in. :ugh:

11. footratfunkface

they're just made shittily, and shoot shittily. i'd rent something else next time.

12. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

The only other rifles they had were a shotgun and a tommy gun. The shotgun doesn't seem like a very fun range gun since it can't shoot that far accurately, correct? And I though tommy gun was an automatic, another thing that didn't seem too appropriate for my first time :rofl: There is another range I might have to try next time, it's more expensive though.

13. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

You probably wont find any rifles for rent at the indoor range there.
    Most indoor ranges are not set up to handle centerfire rifle rounds, so they are not allowed. There is the problem of the rifle round penetrating the back wall of the range.

14. footratfunkface

that's not true at all. if a rifle will penetrate the back wall, then there's a possibility that a powerful handgun will too. no range that stays in operation for any amount of time will have a backstop that is not capable of safely containing rifles and handguns.

you sometimes have ranges where the rounds are redirected, and sometimes back at the shooters. these ranges do not stay open.

15. Volkl

Volkl New Member

from my experience, it isn't the back wall that is the problem, but rather, the roof. My local range had to ban CZ-52's and all other guns of the same caliber, because the rounds were putting holes in the roof. The .50AE Desert Eagle is still allowed though...

16. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Unfortunately, that's the truth at the two ranges here in my town. I brought in a rifle to shoot, and was not allowed for this reason. Perhaps it's not that way everywhere else, but this is from my limited experience. :hs:

17. Car54

Car54 Member

our local indoor range just installed a new bullet trap that is capable of stopping .50BMG all day long...

18. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i guess it depends on the range. a buddy of mine said that many indoor ranges won't let me fire my .50 Desert Eagle because of noise. not sure if it's true or not cuz i only shoot at an outdoor range. but, it seems to me that the restrictions will vary by range.